Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystery hill

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
I can’t bring up the dock on an external display that’s placed above my MacBook.

It’s been like this since beta 1.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Reactions: gaeli

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
This is feature that I waiting for many years! I hope they let it that way 😄.
My dock often jumping to my external display that is top of my MacBook. This will solve this.

TheWraith

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2024
Yes, this is terrible and really screws things up for me—and as far as I can tell, there's no workaround! I wish I had known, I would not have upgraded, this really messes up my workflow.

jdavidbuerk

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2021
Washington, DC
Also today noticing this glaring oversight immediately after updating to Sequoia. VERY annoying. Bring it back, or at least give us a toggle in Settings to choose from.

Dietrichbatista

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Same issue here.. very very annoying. I hope they fix this in such a way that all users may choose the best option of their choice.

Dietrichbatista

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
I can’t bring up the dock on an external display that’s placed above my MacBook.

It’s been like this since beta 1.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Yes I am having the same issue with a 14" M1 MacBook Pro with a two external Thunderbolt monitors side by side and the MPB 14 just in front of both..

KSLEWIS

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2024
Noticed this as soon as I upgraded. I'm torn though, I used to hate the dock jumping up to my top monitor by mistake, until I got used to it. Now I miss it. Hopefully this returns as a setting or something we can choose.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Thanks. And there goes my desire to upgrade. I usually wait 9-12 months but thought I’d be brave this time. Apple software QC is laughable these days.
Despite what some people are claiming, this is not a bug. With a vertical layout of displays, having the dock on the top monitor would mean it is in the middle of the desktop rather than along an edge of said desktop.

TheWraith

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2024
Despite what some people are claiming, this is not a bug. With a vertical layout of displays, having the dock on the top monitor would mean it is in the middle of the desktop rather than along an edge of said desktop.

Yes. That's how we configure it and use it. It's actually the fastest in that config because there's less space to travel to get to it from either screen.

Hope to god it is a bug, I've filed...will be tremendously annoying if the whole way my displays are set up has been murdered for no good reason.

jsnfwlr

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2024
While the change may have been done to prevent the dock appearing between two vertically stacked monitors, as you suggest, it also breaks the previous functionality of showing the dock at the bottom-most edge of multiple monitors when you have a display layout like this:

Monitor 2Monitor 1
Monitor 3

Previously, the dock appeared on Monitor 2 and Monitor 3.

Now it only appears on Monitor 3, and does not let me drag it to another monitor at all.

KSLEWIS

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2024
FYI, I updated to 15.1 today and the dock will once again follow to a monitor stacked above the main screen.

Also it fixed a long standing issue I had with stage manager previews not showing up on my secondary displays when an application is maximized but not full screen.

Reactions: gaeli and kecinzer

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
FYI, I updated to 15.1 today and the dock will once again follow to a monitor stacked above the main screen.

Also it fixed a long standing issue I had with stage manager previews not showing up on my secondary displays when an application is maximized but not full screen.
If the second issue is that, I already reported several times since macOS 14, I will celebrate it a lot 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.