Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Hello,

I have a MBP M1 since it was launched and been struggling for quite some time with Ethernet speeds. Despite having a solid connection all the docks I connected to the mac end up internally on the USB 2.0 bus. Has anyone had a similar problem?

The dock I have
Dell WD19TB - should be thunderbolt capable, reported as USB 2.0
Lenovo USB-C Thinkpad dock Gen2 - USB 2.0
Lention 11 in 1 from aliexpress - USB 2.0.

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 20.57.38.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 20.57.38.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 209

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Maybe you have a bad USB-C port?

Do you have any USB 3.x devices you can connect? Such as a USB 3.x flash drive?

Do you have any Alpine Ridge based Thunderbolt 3 devices you can connect? These are devices that cannot work with a USB connection. If you can connect one of these, then it will be able to provide a USB 3.x connection to your other docks.

hugo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020

Do you have any Alpine Ridge based Thunderbolt 3 devices you can connect? These are devices that cannot work with a USB connection. If you can connect one of these, then it will be able to provide a USB 3.x connection to your other docks.

Hello,

- most likely not- same behaviour on both ports

- yes, tried for exmaple USB flash drive Kingston HyperX - is connected to USB 3.1, but max speed is reported 480mb/s
- iphone - connected to 3.1 bus, but max speed again 480mb/s
- ipad pro M1- connected to 3.1 bus, but speed max 480mb/s

Do you have any Alpine Ridge based Thunderbolt 3 devices you can connect?
no

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 08.19.04.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 08.19.04.png
    173.2 KB · Views: 87

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Are you also connecting a high definition (4K60) monitor through the dock? USB based docks will be limited at USB 2.0 if used with 4K60 monitor if the monitor does not support DP1.4. I don't know what's wrong with the WDTB14 though.

hugo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Are you also connecting a high definition (4K60) monitor through the dock? USB based docks will be limited at USB 2.0 if used with 4K60 monitor if the monitor does not support DP1.4. I don't know what's wrong with the WDTB14 though.
Hello,

Dell WD19TB - only 1x 1080p monitor connected via HDMI to dock
Lenovo USB-C Thinkpad dock Gen2 - used only for charging and ethernet
Lention 11 in 1 from aliexpress - used only for charging and ethernet

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
- most likely not- same behaviour on both ports
They seem unable to do any super speed stuff though (USB 3.x or Thunderbolt).

Do you have another computer to connect them to to make sure all the devices are not damaged?

Are you using the cables that come with each device? Some cables are not meant for Thunderbolt or USB 3.x.

narc1981

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
Same issue. My Anker HUB is detected as USB 2.0, connected drives are slow for this reason.

Any suggestion?

hugo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
They seem unable to do any super speed stuff though (USB 3.x or Thunderbolt).

Do you have another computer to connect them to to make sure all the devices are not damaged?

Are you using the cables that come with each device? Some cables are not meant for Thunderbolt or USB 3.x.

- I do have a windows based corporate lenovo without admin rights so not much testing I can do there

- tried several cables, same behaviour

the WD19TB has an integrated cable marked with the thunderbolt icon- there is no doubt this should be working
the lenovo I tested with the cable it came with + the thunderbolt cable that came with the mac- same results

I did some additional testing
- ipad M1 on wd19tb seems to get better speeds than the M1 mac

hugo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
ok I seem to have some progress - it seems to be down to cabling.

the only cable which seems to connect at 5gb/s is the lenovo cable that came with the lenovo dock --> tested on lenovo dock & lention --> working

for my surprise the original apple cable that came with mac connects only at 2.0 speed.

the wd19tb with the integrated thunderbolt cable is still a mystery.

hugo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Anker 8 in 1 USB C Hub.

Any idea? thanks
unfortunately I don't have any of these but a noticed a pretty funny behaviour.

one it manged to connect at 3.0 speed whatever dock I used (with proper cable) it started connecting at 3.0 just fine. even on the dell wd19tb where it was stuck at 2.0.

I would suggest to test a different dock and see how it does there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.