Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbjacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Nanjing, China
The apple iMac product lines now provide only 24GB SSD for their 1T Fusion Drive(FD) versions.
The earlier FD iMacs all use 128G SSDs; thus I am very surprised that the capacity is now reduced so much.

About this, Apple says:

"The 1TB Fusion Drive pairs a 1TB hard drive with 24GB of fast flash — enough to store important OS X files and applications to ensure fast startup, near instant wake from sleep and quick application launching, with room left over for your most frequently used files and apps."

I wonder, is 24GB SSD under FD really enough to meet the daily business work?
Is there anyone who has been using the 24GB SSD FD iMac? Can you share your experience on the FD performace please?

Thank you!

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
I surely doubt it

Hope I would be wrong on that, I suppose. Why don't you fork over the extra $ required to get the 2tb or 3?

I say that only in your best interest.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you can live within 256GB of storage, upgrade to the SSD, or get the 2TB Fusion. I opted for the latter since my space needs were in excess of 256GB.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For the slight upcharge to get the 2tb fusion version (which includes a 120gb SSD portion and a 2tb HDD portion), it's a much better choice...

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I surely doubt it

Hope I would be wrong on that, I suppose. Why don't you fork over the extra $ required to get the 2tb or 3?

I say that only in your best interest.

I really don't think the iMac is worth the money any longer. Apple are milking old tech and even older design for all their worth and quite frankly taking the proverbial.

IMO OS X has been upstaged by W10 and you can get something very decent indeed for around half what you would pay for the Mac. Unless I see something much better on the table when my current iMac is due to be replaced then this will be my last.

Reactions: Nospig

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I really don't think the iMac is worth the money any longer.

I don't think Apple is milking old tech, look at how much Dell is charging for a 5k display, over 2,000, and from Apple you get a P3 display, Skylake processor and a good dGPU.

How is that milking old tech?

My 5k iMac is the best computer I've owned. I've had it since last November, and I run both OS X and Windows 10. In both environments its fast, responsive. The hardware is fully up to the task of everything I throw at it, and its down right gorgeous. The 2TB Fusion drive is surprisingly snappy, and while windows is chugging along on the hard drive, its performance is very good.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I don't think Apple is milking old tech, look at how much Dell is charging for a 5k display, over 2,000, and from Apple you get a P3 display, Skylake processor and a good dGPU.

How is that milking old tech?

My 5k iMac is the best computer I've owned. I've had it since last November, and I run both OS X and Windows 10. In both environments its fast, responsive. The hardware is fully up to the task of everything I throw at it, and its down right gorgeous. The 2TB Fusion drive is surprisingly snappy, and while windows is chugging along on the hard drive, its performance is very good.

The Dell monitor you mention can be had in the UK for around £900 I I start putting that together with a decent Windows tower then the whole lot would only come to around £1600 tops and that would be for better spec parts including SSD as standard.

I'm not saying the iMac is rubbish, simply that for too long now Apple have been living off past glories and keep churning out same old same old but with new prices. The other plus with the Windows tower is I can keep upgrading it as and when new parts become available or when the fancy takes me - I can't do that with the Mac any more.

The balls in Apple's court, come up with something special and I might reconsider, the point being it's a buyers market and Apple are no longer the only game in town.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
The other plus with the Windows tower is I can keep upgrading it as and when new parts become available or when the fancy takes me - I can't do that with the Mac any more.
Maybe, but you don't get OS X, the design of the iMac, etc.

Those things alone far outweigh any price inflation Apple implements, IMO.

If you don't agree, then maybe you should consider Windows.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Maybe, but you don't get OS X, the design of the iMac, etc.

Those things alone far outweigh any price inflation Apple implements, IMO.

If you don't agree, then maybe you should consider Windows.

I already run both OS on my iMac so no I don't agree - BTW have been running OS X for over a decade so yes I do get it, but I also get W10. As for design, well it's certainly dated I'll give you that.

In fact I'm not the only one to re-evaluate Windows. A number of reviews in computer mags of late have scored W10 ahead of OS X. It could be you that doesn't get that the games moved on. You need a more hard headed approach not one swayed by sentiment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not saying the iMac is rubbish, simply that for too long now Apple have been living off past glories and keep churning out same old same old but with new prices.
How is a P3 display skylake processor the same old? I disagree with your assessment, and I think many consumers do as well, as the sales numbers paint a picture of consumers wanting the Mac over other makers.

Clearly, you're unhappy with the Mac, and thanks to the free market, you have the option to choose another product.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
How is a P3 display skylake processor the same old? I disagree with your assessment, and I think many consumers do as well, as the sales numbers paint a picture of consumers wanting the Mac over other makers.

Clearly, you're unhappy with the Mac, and thanks to the free market, you have the option to choose another product.

Your assessment is wrong. I love my current iMac but I've had it for 5 years now and apart from the odd speed bump and a screen upgrade little has changed, with the exception they are no longer upgrade friendly.

I note you keep mentioning Skylake - it's a desktop so Skylake brings little to the party. I also note your silence regarding the Dell pricing, nothing near the price you quoted. I just think Apple need to get off their backsides and come up with new products.

As for sales figures, well what can you draw from that? Many people buy Apple simply to follow the market and wouldn't really know a good computer from a bad one. Apple's PC market share is still minuscule compared to Windows.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
I already run both OS on my iMac so no I don't agree - BTW have been running OS X for over a decade so yes I do get it, but I also get W10. As for design, well it's certainly dated I'll give you that.

In fact I'm not the only one to re-evaluate Windows. A number of reviews in computer mags of late have scored W10 ahead of OS X. It could be you that doesn't get that the games moved on. You need a more hard headed approach not one swayed by sentiment.
My approach is as hard headed as any, let me tell you.

Let me just say I understand. I understand now that you don't like OS X.

Since you hate it, sure, you defect to Windows. It's fine. It's your right. Have fun with it.

Fortunately for me the advantages of OS X are rather apparent, to say the least. I believe I will stay right here.

But again, I like OS X. For someone that doesn't like it, sure, they might as well use Windows.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
My approach is as hard headed as any, let me tell you.

Let me just say I understand. I understand now that you don't like OS X.

Since you hate it, sure, you defect to Windows. It's fine. It's your right. Have fun with it.

Fortunately for me the advantages of OS X are rather apparent, to say the least. I believe I will stay right here.

But again, I like OS X. For someone that doesn't like it, sure, they might as well use Windows.

What a bizarre post - how can I defect to something I am already running - do you actually read the posts before responding? Where do I say I hate OS X - correct I don't so again just something you have made up. You mention that for you the advantages of OS X are rather apparent but fail to say what the advantages are.

I'm not even sure why I am bothering to respond to such a ridiculous diatribe of nonsense.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
What a bizarre post - how can I defect to something I am already running - do you actually read the posts before responding? Where do I say I hate OS X - correct I don't so again just something you have made up. You mention that for you the advantages of OS X are rather apparent but fail to say what the advantages are.

I'm not even sure why I am bothering to respond to such a ridiculous diatribe of nonsense.
If I'm wrong about you hating Mac OS, then fine. But you sure sound like you do.

You sound like someone who hates Mac and loves Windows.

Macs look substantially better than Windows PCs. The OS is also much more user friendly, visually appealing, and fun to use.

I like everything about it but hate Windows.

Using Windows is altogether a miserable experience, no matter how highly specd the machine is. It is not user friendly, visually appealing, or fun to use.

It's downright disgusting if you want to know what I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.