Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emeardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2018
I work from home and got a MacBook Pro from my work. It's the base model because while I do some Photoshop and design stuff, the base is plenty. That said, I want to set up a home office, and am looking at getting an external display.

I've been eying a 4K for a while (because go big or go home) and in my shopping, I quickly came to the conclusion that I will need a dock. Not only for the display, but also because my external that I'm going to migrate to the new Macbook is USB and the Macbook only has Thunderbolt 3s.

In my searching, I've found that some docks only display external monitors up to 30fps. Which isn't bad, but I'm hoping to hit 60fps. All of the ones that I can find that have USB capabilities as well as hitting 60fps are ~$200-300.

I want a dock that does the following (ideally):

- charges the Macbook Pro

- can run one 4K @60fps display

- can plug in one or occasionally two USB devices

That said: would a cheap dock like this one (https://www.amazon.com/Macbook-Thunderbolt-HomeSpot-Aluminum-MacBook/dp/B076BKF1SM/) suffice or do I have to get a $300 one? Or can the Macbook Pro handle a 4k @60fps display? Does it matter what kind of plug I get on the monitor?

Help?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you get a USB-C monitor, you'd have 4K@60, charging and an USB hub (at USB 2.0 speed) in the monitor itself. Docks are trick since it seems that most of them still use crappy chips which are unable to fully utilise the USB-C bandwidth.

Emeardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2018
Does such a monitor exist? It’s so hard to nail down what these docks and monitors can actually do with any degree of accuracy.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am using a LG 27UD88-W and while its not completely without faults, it works rather well with a 15" MBP via USB-C and even manages to charge it during intensive workflows. Definitely a big improvement over old times where you needed an array of cables...

The monitor itself is not the cheapest, but its still less then a cheaper 4K monitor + a good hub.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Not to be pedantic, but just FYI, there's no "2018" MBP - we'll assume it's a 2017, but those kind of distinctions can be really critical for this sort of discussion.

The first hub you linked to in your previous post will allow you to plug in the cable you linked to in this post for a single plug-in solution, i.e. displayport via the USB-C port on that hub (assuming the 4K display you get has DP input).

The key is for the hub to support DisplayPort via a TB3/USB-C port (or have a DP port built right into the hub).

Most of the cheaper hubs will not have that capability. The "$300" hubs are TB3 hubs... most will have that capability. Just look for the specs to indicate 4K@60Hz, like that Homespot indicates it does. The HyperDrive (amzn link) looks to be similar.

(I have no idea why those TB3 hubs that attach directly are so much cheaper than the detached hubs that cost 3x more)

Reactions: Emeardon

Emeardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2018
Okay. So I was close to getting the solution. A DisplayPort to Thunderbolt adapter and a dock like either of the ones mentioned should do the trick.

Thanks.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Exactly what I do with the LG 4k. Single USB-C cable does everything. Got the space grey keyboard and mouse to match everything up.

A1625_AAE-_DF4_D-457_A-_AFDE-_B0_E9_F0417508.jpg

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Exactly what I do with the LG 4k. Single USB-C cable does everything. Got the space grey keyboard and mouse to match everything up.

A1625_AAE-_DF4_D-457_A-_AFDE-_B0_E9_F0417508.jpg

So you have one cable going from your MacBook Pro to th LG display and it powers the display and does audio/video out at 4k@60hz?

How would you achieve this with a 2015 MacBook Pro? Can you use one cable and to this on that machine?

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Yes one cable does it all, very neat. It’s only the 2016 models and above I think. Needs USB-C.

The speakers plug into the monitor as well.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Yep, I just charge them on it when I’m using my phone.

Want to upgrade my monitor to the 32” version now lol
I wish I could afford one of those! I have two 32 inch Samsungs (just plain 1080), so I would have to spend double on my setup if I upgrade the monitors.

And, I must say, super nice setup overall! Wish my desk setup looked that sharp!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.