Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Not because of the nominal apertures, but because of the quality of the glass. I keep hearing that a 50mm f/1.4 looks terrible when it's open all the way anyways.

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
No.

After being in Florida over the holidays and taking a lot of night shots, I've decided to buy a 50mm 1.4. While on vacation, my son and I had a lot of lens between the two of us. We borrowed a 50mm 1.4 from a friend to take and we ended up doing a lot of shots with both the 50mm and my 20mm 2.8 on a D200 and D300.

FWIW, the 50 was the lens we ended up using the most.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Absolutely not! The 50mm f/1.4 is an excellent lens and has its own role to play in one's photographic repertoire. The glass quality is not all that bad and this lens does quite well for shooting in extremely low light and at night. There's room for both in your camera bag....

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
No, f/1.4 is clearly much better than an f/2.8 - but then if I had a 50mm f/1.4 and the option to sell it and get the 24-70mm f/2.8 I would

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.