Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake-g

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I bought a canon g9 for my wife for her birthday. So far, I have gotten 2 from Best Buy with dead and hot pixels. Is canon's build quality really this bad? I have never had a problem like this with my d300 or d70.

The pixels are bad enough that you can see them in the live view off the lcd.

Im getting really frustrated because I talked her into this camera.

Should I try for a third, or pick out another camera.

Jake

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I know three Canon G9 owners, one who is a pro (obviously not his main camera) - none of my friends have had any issues, certainly no dead pixels or having to returns. Your local store must have got an early / bad batch.

God playing with the G9 almost makes me want to rush out and buy one despite the lack of funds and Canon name! :D

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
My brother got a G9 and Ive been playing around with it, really sweet camera, thinking I want to get one for myself to replace my 2001 Olympus Camedia C-2040 2.1mp camera, hahah, that thing felt like a dinosaur after I tried the G9.

But I was wondering if it has a blackboard/whiteboard mode like my Olympus has? I found the setting to change color modes and get black and white, but couldn't find "blackboard/whiteboard" does it have it? Sweet camera anyway.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I almost bought one tonight but I kept thinking about this thread and some reviews I've read online. What is the easist way at a store to check this? I'm pretty much going to need to take a picture and download it to my MacBook to be certain, correct?

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Maybe you should try another store.

Best Buy and Circuit City don't have the most pristine of reputations. Could be they are selling a batch of bad cameras, with flaws that most people wouldn't notice.

jake-g

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I got my third yesterday. I think I got a good one finally. Its frustrating to go through such a hassle and I wouldn't have if any other p&s was as nice, but the g9 really seems to blow all the other cameras in this size away.

I would recommend the g 9 to anyone thinking about buying one for sure, just make sure to test it thouroughly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.