Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Both.
Selling: sold a 2017 MacBook Pro and a 2018 iPad. Did ok price wise on the iPad, but took a bit of a bath on the MBP due to the then recent release of the 2018 MBP with quad-core chips and (supposedly) improved keyboard.
The process is really easy and straight forward. Buyers can post questions on your listing, which you can answer to help the sale along.
Just like anywhere else, there will be those who will try to lowball you, so don't be desperate.

Buyer pays up front, and your funds are released once you verify shipment. Swappa strongly advises you to insure your package to protect yourself against loss or theft.
You are required to submit your item's serial number to Swappa so they can verify it's not reported stolen.

I would advise taking clear, well-lit photos. They really make a difference, so if you're not good at this, get help from someone who is.

Buying: I purchased a 2017 iPad Pro still under warranty for half the retail price -- did not come with the box or charger, but I had an extra charger available.

holysmokesbatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
Both.
Selling: sold a 2017 MacBook Pro and a 2018 iPad. Did ok price wise on the iPad, but took a bit of a bath on the MBP due to the then recent release of the 2018 MBP with quad-core chips and (supposedly) improved keyboard.
The process is really easy and straight forward. Buyers can post questions on your listing, which you can answer to help the sale along.
Just like anywhere else, there will be those who will try to lowball you, so don't be desperate.

Buyer pays up front, and your funds are released once you verify shipment. Swappa strongly advises you to insure your package to protect yourself against loss or theft.
You are required to submit your item's serial number to Swappa so they can verify it's not reported stolen.

I would advise taking clear, well-lit photos. They really make a difference, so if you're not good at this, get help from someone who is.

Buying: I purchased a 2017 iPad Pro still under warranty for half the retail price -- did not come with the box or charger, but I had an extra charger available.

I've got a question for you. If you sold something to someone and got a message from them 5 weeks after the purchase saying they want a refund, would you give it to them?

torqueflight

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2018
Not likely. Even apple only does 14 days right? And if you buy on swappa without a warranty then you know you’re taking a chance.

Reactions: Never mind

holysmokesbatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
Not likely. Even apple only does 14 days right? And if you buy on swappa without a warranty then you know you’re taking a chance.

This was my thinking exactly. The buyer bought my old MacBook Pro and sent me a message 5 weeks later demanding I give them a refund because they were experiencing issues. I told them no and now they’re trying to get the staff involved, saying I sold them something that was not “as described.” So I’m not sure what to do about that.

If they item was not as described, why wait 5 weeks to say something about it? Just seems suspicious to me.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I’ve bought and sold on Swappa and had good experiences. It uses the feedback system and feedback can be mixed in from eBay as well.

I've got a question for you. If you sold something to someone and got a message from them 5 weeks after the purchase saying they want a refund, would you give it to them?

5 weeks it’s too late. It’s past the PayPal protection period, and after that period what’s to say the issues weren’t created by the buyer.

I have typically included AppleCare with my items well within the warranty period, so if someone contacted after 5 weeks, I would refer them to AppleCare.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Just be glad it wasn't eBay. Their terms favor the buyer, and make it a real nightmare if the buyer has buyer's remorse down the road.

I would agree. Five weeks out is far too long to have decided that there's some sort of an issue.

MacDann

holysmokesbatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
I wouldn't pay either after five weeks. If they used Paypal you may have no choice.

Where are you getting that? Going by this page. They have up to 180 days.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

That’s what I’m afraid of. They received a perfectly working computer, did something to it, and is trying to get a return for it. Which really isn’t fair to me because now I’ll have to owe them and I’ll get back a broken computer in return. I don’t think PayPal would side with the seller in a case like this either. Seems like most online market platforms side with the buyer.
[doublepost=1563980790][/doublepost]
Just be glad it wasn't eBay. Their terms favor the buyer, and make it a real nightmare if the buyer has buyer's remorse down the road.

I would agree. Five weeks out is far too long to have decided that there's some sort of an issue.

MacDann

Exactly. They seem very adamant on getting their money back for the computer since it is no longer working. I tried to explain to them that since they’ve been using it regularly (according to her email to me) and it breaks then, it’s no longer my responsibility for that, it’s theirs. The buyer got upset and is trying to contact the staff to get them to initiate a refund since I sent them something that “did not match the item’s description.”

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I wouldn't pay either after five weeks. If they used Paypal you may have no choice.

Where are you getting that? Going by this page. They have up to 180 days.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

My mistake, I thought it was 30 days. OP, curious, the the buyer leave you feedback after the transaction?
My questions in the dispute would be this:

Did buyer receive the product?

Did the buyer find the MacBook Pro to have any physical damage, marks or defects that were not described when received if so, timestamped photos?

When the MacBook Pro was received, did it power up and work when opened?

After powering up when received, was buyer able to set up the MacBook Pro with preferred settings, load applications and work with those applications when using the MacBook Pro?

If the answer to all those questions is yes, they got an item precisely as described, and I would insist I should not be held responsible for any damage caused to the MacBook Pro after they received everything as described and used it. The claim is inaccurate.

Please let us know how this works out.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Exactly. They seem very adamant on getting their money back for the computer since it is no longer working. I tried to explain to them that since they’ve been using it regularly (according to her email to me) and it breaks then, it’s no longer my responsibility for that, it’s theirs. The buyer got upset and is trying to contact the staff to get them to initiate a refund since I sent them something that “did not match the item’s description.”

Hopefully you are keeping all correspondence. To use as a defense if this escalates through Paypal.

holysmokesbatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
My mistake, I thought it was 30 days. OP, curious, the the buyer leave you feedback after the transaction?
My questions in the dispute would be this:

Did buyer receive the product?

Did the buyer find the MacBook Pro to have any physical damage, marks or defects that were not described when received if so, timestamped photos?

When the MacBook Pro was received, did it power up and work when opened?

After powering up when received, was buyer able to set up the MacBook Pro with preferred settings, load applications and work with those applications when using the MacBook Pro?

If the answer to all those questions is yes, they got an item precisely as described, and I would insist I should not be held responsible for any damage caused to the MacBook Pro after they received everything as described and used it. The claim is inaccurate.

Please let us know how this works out.
No, the buyer left no feedback whatsoever upon receiving the computer. The only feedback/review that was left was when I started receiving the emails about the refund last week. So well over a month after having and using it did they leave a review, then start messaging me. I’m also concerned that the buyer is going to damage the computer and say that’s how they received it, to better help their case. I have photos of the computer before I sent it, which is good, I just don’t know what they’re going to try and pull which is making me a little anxious.

I’ll definitely keep this thread updated on what’s going on.
[doublepost=1563989598][/doublepost]
Hopefully you are keeping all correspondence. To use as a defense if this escalates through Paypal.

I have been taking screenshots and saving everything since this ordeal started. I feel as though that’s what they will try to do.

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Not a chance! Can you think of any retailer that would?
This is why I always communicate with the buyer during and after shipping, and I don't transfer my payment to my bank until they have posted on Swappa that they have received the item, and everything is a-OK.

PayPal only allows 30 days (I believe).

holysmokesbatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
Not a chance! Can you think of any retailer that would?
This is why I always communicate with the buyer during and after shipping, and I don't transfer my payment to my bank until they have posted on Swappa that they have received the item, and everything is a-OK.

PayPal only allows 30 days (I believe).
Unfortunately PayPal allows 180 days. This was my first time selling something online and I’m having the worst experience to be quite frank. I’ll have to take notes on how to better protect myself as a seller next time (if there is a next time. This has left a bad taste in my mouth).

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
180 days? So, you could sell somebody something, they could kick it around and **** on it for 6 months, then ask for their money back? That's outrageous!

holysmokesbatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
180 days? So, you could sell somebody something, they could kick it around and **** on it for 6 months, then ask for their money back? That's outrageous!
My thoughts exactly. I have photos of the condition of the laptop before I shipped it, but who’s to say the buyer won’t scratch it up themselves, say they received it that way, and try to file a claim to get their money back. I’m just anxious I’m going to have to pay this person back and receive a now broken laptop. I’ve collected all I can in this situation, timestamps and dates of when the MacBook Pro was received, when they started asking for a refund, when they posted the review, I just hope it’s enough.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I have a way of dealing with PayPal in this respect.

I have a bank account that's linked to my PP account, as required. There's nothing in it, and it's tied to no other accounts. If I need to make a payment I put money in it, if I receive payment for something I immediately withdraw the funds.

I had an eBay transaction go down like this once. The buyer got buyer's remorse after about six weeks on an item I sold and decided to make a claim with PP. PP came back to me about it and I made my case that the item was perfectly sound when received by the buyer and I would not agree to a refund as the item was sold without a warranty, as-is, where is.

As expected, they sided with the buyer and attempted to debit my account. Nothing there. I got a nasty email from them threatening me about not abiding by the terms of their agreement. I reiterated that the item was sold as-is with no warranty and that I would not be refunding the monies. The seller never returned the item, I might add, not that it mattered.

PP suspended my account. That lasted about 4-5 months when it magically became active again. Guess it wasn't that big of a deal, as I've used the same account now for several years without an issue. If it happened again I would just bail, as there are plenty of other ways of receiving and sending payments now besides PayPal.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
It's reasons like this I never chose to sell stuff for a fee online. I hope you can get this resolved soon OP.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Hey OP, any updates?

I actually just sold a MacBook Pro on Swappa last week. Just a friendly piece of advice for those that use it. Once tracking shows delivered, throw a note in the comments asking if everything arrived as advertised, and if they need help on transferring AppleCare. If I don’t hear back, I keep posting every 2-3 days until I hear back.

Paper trails. If they reply saying everything is good to go, show PayPal on any dispute. If they are not replying, show PayPal you’ve given them every opportunity to let you know something was wrong.

PayPal does not necessarily side with the buyer every time, you just have to be well prepared and have a good argument.

Reactions: MacDann
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.