Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
If you have bought that camera, can you post your comments on this model? The design and specs look awesome. But, looks can be deceptive. I am considering this as my P&S when I cannot carry my D30 and lens gear.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Sorry, I can not offer a personal opinion, but it looks like it has awesome movie capability for such a small camera.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
I think this is quite a new model and I have not seen any complete reviews on this. I am flying to Idaho for business in a few days and I would like to grab a nice compact P&S digital camera to take good photos there. The weather forecast says it is nice and sunny.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The misspelling was your doing, not ours, so why make a lame "cannon" joke about it? The point is that we know what you think of "Canon" cameras, so why even bother posting what you did?

And the fact that we'd never see you with a Canon is probably a good thing, as you seem a bit devoid of sense, judging by your posts.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Abstract said:
Why wouldn't you go with the new SD800 IS instead? It has IS, it has 7 MP rather than 10 MP, so it probably takes photos better in low light, and again....it has IS!!
You have a good point there. Both 900 and 800 are in similar specs. So, with a 10 MP sensor, do pictures get affected with extra noise? This model has the most updated sensor (DIGIC III instead of my D30's DIGIC II) and I am wondering this new sensor can handle extra MP better than DIGIC II-equipped camera.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Well if you know anything about electronics, the noise will be there, and it matters very little what processor is being used. The new processor can't make the noise disappear or look better. It just blurs it out a bit. It's really just a matter of physics anyway. The noise is there, but each pixel will pick up less light if each pixel is smaller (ie: there are more pixels packed into a particular area). I would prefer a digital camera with "only" 5-6 MP, but that's just me.

Do I really need a small camera with more pixels than my DSLR? :confused:

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Canon PowerShop SD700 IS

Abstract said:
I would prefer a digital camera with "only" 5-6 MP, but that's just me.

Do I really need a small camera with more pixels than my DSLR? :confused:
I decided to go with SD 700 IS 6MP. I think new SD800 IS/900 are coming to the general market in late Oct or early Nov, which is a little late for me. I think Canon SD700 IS fits my bills nicely as it is very compact. I already have 2 X 2GB SD cards for my Palms LD/TX and I am going to use those 2 SDs for this camera.

Amazon would be delivering this to me a day before my trip to the West so that I can start using this the following day there.

edit: caption should be PowerShot, not shop...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Ha, I'd prefer the SD700. :p Why do I need larger file sizes for the same quality output, and for what is essentially the same file size, right? ;)

You made the right choice. Only thing is that the delivery date is very very close to the date of your trip. :eek:

Anyway, congrats. :)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Abstract said:
Why wouldn't you go with the new SD800 IS instead? It has IS, it has 7 MP rather than 10 MP, so it probably takes photos better in low light, and again....it has IS!!

The SD550 is actually a better camera for the price. I have both. The image stabilization on the 800 is of marginal quality and use at best.

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
e-coli said:
The SD550 is actually a better camera for the price. I have both. The image stabilization on the 800 is of marginal quality and use at best.

Me wants for when I don't want to drag my D70s around.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Abstract said:
Only thing is that the delivery date is very very close to the date of your trip. :eek:
I have this hunch Amazon may not be able to pull off a Tuesday delivery as I have not yet received the tracking #. My Amazon account still says the estimated delivery is tomorrow (Tuesday) as I opted for One-Day shipping (which is basically guaranteed delivery).

Since the connecting flights to Idaho is rather small airplane, I am doubtful I can carry on Crumpler Karachi bag with my D30, lens, and lap. I don't think I can squeeze in that Karachi bag under the seat in front of me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.