Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all,
I was curious if anyone still uses MTR (formerly MacTheRipper) ? I wanted to try it to see how it compares to my programs I use. However, they seem to have some steep requirements to get a license (if I read the help site correctly.)

It sounded like they want you to both join the community, and send the Developer a gift via payPal to get a license.

I'm fine with sending the developer a gift on PayPal, I just don't want to feel like I "HAVE" to join the community simply to pay for the software. The other thing is, it looks like they require proof of support of the software up to 3 times to join the community which I can't give because I haven't used it so have no support history to show The only time I used it was when it was more freely available back in version 2.6x, I think it was.

Currently I use Mac DVDRipper Pro, and MakeMKV because I primarily use Blu-ray now. Mac DVDRipper Pro is for the occasional iso i might need to make of a DVD for a backup copy, etc.

Anyway if someone could help put things into prospective for getting a licensed copy of MTR to use, or if I even need it at this point. Would appreciate it.

Thanks

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
This all sounds too shady by the 'developer' just to let you use their software.
Why not just charge $10 or something and be done.

Personally I wouldn't trust the software on my Mac.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
This all sounds too shady by the 'developer' just to let you use their software.
Why not just charge $10 or something and be done.

Personally I wouldn't trust the software on my Mac.
That's what I was trying to figure out. I have known of their practices for a while now, and it doesn't sound legal to me, but it's still around and listed on the Macupdate site for the download of the demo, and I don't think they would allow illegal stuff on that site, but their company model has changed too, so who knows.

Both MDRP, and MakeMKV I was able to purchase publicly from their respective sites, (or within the app for upgrades) MDRP. MakeMKV is free, but i paid the $50 to show support, and so the betas wouldn't expire before a new version was out. Anyway thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: MarkC426

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I will second @MarkC426 (i.e., seems the developer has become shady) especially after reading the Wiki details...

…Including:
The original historical MacTheRipper page (for v1.0 - v2.6.6) including usage instructions URL, that was listed at Wikipedia, that was at http://mactheripper.org/ is gone - now replaced by a re-direct link to a URL for a commercial corporate made product called "Mac DVDRipper Pro" by DVDSuki Software; Note: "MacTheRipper" and "Mac DVDRipper Pro" are different programs and should not be confused with each other.

P.S. I was a fan of MTR back in the day.

Reactions: MarkC426

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I will second @MarkC426 (i.e., seems the developer has become shady) especially after reading the Wiki details...

…Including:

P.S. I was a fan of MTR back in the day.
Well considering I've mostly moved the Blu-ray, or UHD Blu-ray I use MakeMKV as my go to now. I don't rip UHD for local streaming. That's what the standard Blu-rays are for. I know MDRP, and MTR are separate programs. I have a copy of MDRP, never had any issues with it. (whenever I've needed one of it's functions over MakeMKV) for DVDs.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I know MDRP, and MTR are separate programs
My problem is the developer dropping an official Website/landing page — yes, even just a single, simple page. I am aware MTR has relied primarily on donations and cutting costs (including Web hosting) is sensible. And another company snatching up a now available domain isn’t wrong. However, the change feels like a lack of effort and counterproductive.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
My problem is the developer dropping an official Website/landing page — yes, even just a single, simple page. I am aware MTR has relied primarily on donations and cutting costs (including Web hosting) is sensible. And another company snatching up a now available domain isn’t wrong. However, the change feels like a lack of effort and counterproductive.
Well, for a while because of the tight fisted rules the MTR community has now, in the past made me question if it was even legal software. There is commercial software available that rips discs, and the developers and the communities are far more open in selling a license, and allowing people into the communities. So with MTR being so restricted it's put up a red flag for a while and why i never pursued getting a license for it. Now after reading the site in detail about the instructions on joining the community and obtaining a license, it doesn't sound as bad now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.