Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm a research student working on text mining areas.

I normally use Macbook Air 2013 (13 inches, 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 256GB) to process heavy tasks of text processing.

Sometimes I find that my machine runs load of things and I hear noise (kinda fan noise but not sure if it has a fan) from it.

When it runs, there is no sign of the slowness of the macOS. But I think that I need more space due to the work.

Thus, I'm thinking of to get a new Macbook Pro but hesitating about its limited ports and CPU performances.

Is there anyone here working on Text Mining area? How long have you used your machine.

Thank you.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Haven't done text mining, specifically. What kind of performance are you seeing? How disk-bound is the work? Do you have any kind of benchmark or test case you could run on another machine to compare results?

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
Haven't done text mining, specifically. What kind of performance are you seeing? How disk-bound is the work? Do you have any kind of benchmark or test case you could run on another machine to compare results?

Sorry I did not make it clear. Aside from running experiments, storing data (i.e. 7 GB textual data + images), storing research documents, and installing heavy programs (Xcode, DreamWeaver, Bootcamp, SPSS) , I also use my Macbook for personal leisures as well (store pics from iPhone, music, voice records, etc). I don't have any benchmark or other machines to compare with. I just notice there is a noice sometimes when I run heavy stuff. Instead of a replacing a new SSD to get more space, should I just buy a new one and add more RAM and SSD.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Sorry I did not make it clear. Aside from running experiments, storing data (i.e. 7 GB textual data + images), storing research documents, and installing heavy programs (Xcode, DreamWeaver, Bootcamp, SPSS) , I also use my Macbook for personal leisures as well (store pics from iPhone, music, voice records, etc). I don't have any benchmark or other machines to compare with. I just notice there is a noice sometimes when I run heavy stuff. Instead of a replacing a new SSD to get more space, should I just buy a new one and add more RAM and SSD.

I have the i7 , I'm doing some data mining for development purposes and I'm seeing so much improvement in these ssd drives. You're going to fall in love if you move from the mac book air over to one of these for large databases and text. I'm compiling 4gb files in mere seconds compared to minutes previously.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I have the i7 , I'm doing some data mining for development purposes and I'm seeing so much improvement in these ssd drives. You're going to fall in love if you move from the mac book air over to one of these for large databases and text. I'm compiling 4gb files in mere seconds compared to minutes previously.

Wow. That's gonna be very awesome with 4gb files. Which model is your previous macbook? How long that you have been using it?

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
What on Earth are you compiling into a 4GB file? That's getting into OS territory. And seconds to compile a 4GB file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.