Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HALE101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
So I just ordered a Anker PowerCore speed 20000 portable charger on amazon today. It does have 2 USB type A ports that support quick charge 3.0 and PowerIQ , I know that quick charge isn’t supported on the iPhone X but it also has a USB type c port , my question is weather I should buy a USB C to lighting cable and use that or use my USB to lighting cable that I have now . Any of you guys use a power bar?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
So I just ordered a Anker PowerCore speed 20000 portable charger on amazon today. It does have 2 USB type A ports that support quick charge 3.0 and PowerIQ , I know that quick charge isn’t supported on the iPhone X but it also has a USB type c port , my question is weather I should buy a USB C to lighting cable and use that or use my USB to lighting cable that I have now . Any of you guys use a power bar?

I think you can safely skip the fast charging from the USB-C with the iPhone X, unless you discover that you find you cannot get a full phone charge during the time you typically have to charge the phone up. (You can see tests with Usb-C charging times vs normal usb-A cables online I think.)

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-x-fast-charging-speeds-compared/

I do have some more food for thought however.

I own a couple of large anker batteries like you do, and I did discover that I was sometimes unable to fill the battery back to full charge during short hotel overnights. Using a normal “ipad” 12w adapter, it could take in excess of 14 hours to charge back to full from completely empty.

Since then, I purchased another anker battery (powercore 2?) that had two usb-micro inputs, and by filling the powercore battery at the same time from two charging ports I could get a full charge overnight.

Since the battery pack you mentioned outputs usb-c & quickcharge 3.0, I assume it will charge faster with a wall adapter that uses one of these standards? You may want to pick up one of those wall chargers to fill the battery pack, unless you can tolerate the time it will take with a normal charger to refill the 20,000 mAh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.