Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hey guys quick question. I am starting to use Aperture a bit now since i downloaded about 30 RAW images. I would like to have them in Aperture instead of iPhoto.

Now Today i took about 12 pictures with my fiancé's Canon Rebel. But while importing them i notice she has it set to jpeg (oh well, at least the other images there were imported from my friends is in RAW).

Well today I went into Aperture, and began to look at the pictures when i look up on my ram usage, but gets almost all the way. I mean currently i have (and always have) all my usual apps running in the background, like ical, address Book, itunes, safari, finder, ichat, adium, and mail. Right now at the current moment (have NOT shut down in days only sleep) i have 1.68G free of ram and 245mb of inactive ram. out of the 4 gigs of DDR2 ram that i have installed on my computer.

So while browsing the regular pictures in aperture, looking at my istat, it's using 656mb on that alone. Then when i go to the raw images and start browsing them, it went to 762mb. Of course when i get out of the view view and just have them there the ram goes down. Is this normal though? I only have maybe 30 pictures in aperture. i end up having 566mb left of usable ram after aperture is up and browsing pics. But while not doing much on aperture my ram comes back. Is it only while browsing that eats that much ram?

I opened up iphoto in which i have 2,107 photos and it makes my ram to 87mb usage. That's nowhere near aperture.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Are you referencing your master images, or storing them in the Aperture Library? When I moved all my photos into the Library Aperture used substantially less RAM (or so it seemed).

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Yes it does use up that much RAM...at least it does on mine as well. Usually will max out at ~750mb when I'm working full force. And I only have 3GB of RAM :(

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Aperture is iPhoto's bigger brother... it should be no surprise that it uses significantly more RAM.

You're still talking under a gig for your primary open application. This seems like a non-issue. Of course, I have 10gb that basically waits for photoshop, indesign, and illustrator to start grabbing like greedy children in a candy store. So I see "750mb" and shrug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.