Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Has any one noticed backlight bleeding on this amazing display? If anyone shares a picture about this we would be very happy...
The picture has to be taken in an absolute dark room and black backgroun with %100 brightness. www.lightbleedtest.com may help you. And https://www.testufo.com/ghosting will help you for ghosting test. Just take a photo with your phone of moving ufos
Thanks, happy new year...

@mattnfg1 @adamwathan

Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
why do not owners of this display answer this thread, do they afraid of feeling disappointed???

nethead

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
The XDR display has local dimming, so a 100% black screen will be black, no matter what you set the brightness to. For example when booting the computer, only the Apple logo is white, the rest of the screen is 100% dark, like an OLED. That backlight bleeding test is thus pointless, I think?

Subjectively the screen seems to have very slightly darker left and right borders on a full grey screen, but maybe that’s my imagination. It’s a great screen :)

I can shoot and upload some test photos later with my DSLR.

Reactions: emraha06

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
The XDR display has local dimming, so a 100% black screen will be black, no matter what you set the brightness to. For example when booting the computer, only the Apple logo is white, the rest of the screen is 100% dark, like an OLED. That backlight bleeding test is thus pointless, I think?

Subjectively the screen seems to have very slightly darker left and right borders on a full grey screen, but maybe that’s my imagination. It’s a great screen :)

I can shoot and upload some test photos later with my DSLR.

Yes you may be right but we will be very happy if you upload a photo for backlight bleed at %100 brightness and also a photo for ghosting which taken during ufo ghosting test. Waiting excitedly, Kind regards

Last edited:

nethead

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
I hope these photos are what you're looking for - let me know if I should tweak something. There's some light coming in from a window, that I can't fully block out, but the room was so dark, I couldn't even see my camera on the tripod anymore.

On the first photo, I can see:
- My DSLR sensor developed a lot of hot pixels over time that I should map out. ?
- No backlight bleeding at all.
- There's a brighter circular spot around the mouse cursor, which is where the display's local dimming had to turn up the backlight a little bit. You cannot see this at all in person, the only thing you can see is the mouse cursor on a completely black background without any light halo around it, which is pretty impressive (I have another local dimming 4K display, the Acer Predator X27, which does a much much MUCH worse job at this - it's totally fine for gaming and movies, but a joke compared to Apple's XDR display).

I don't know how to judge the UFO photo, I hope I took it the correct way (1/400s exposure so that there's no blur due to the camera). Subjectively, I cannot see any ghosting, but I also can't see it on my MacBook Pro 16", so maybe I'm not very sensitive to it. Of course it's a big difference to a gaming-optimized 120 Hz panel in direct comparison, but it doesn't really bother me otherwise.

Edit: I read a bit more about the UFO test - don’t I need a “pursuit camera”, a camera mounted on a sliding rail, to accurately capture the photo so that we can see ghosting artifacts correctly? Maybe it’s easier to wait for a professional test for that one.

Attachments

• _1040759.jpeg
    _1040759.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 1,544
  • _1040771.jpeg
    _1040771.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 1,042
Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I hope these photos are what you're looking for - let me know if I should tweak something. There's some light coming in from a window, that I can't fully block out, but the room was so dark, I couldn't even see my camera on the tripod anymore.

On the first photo, I can see:
- My DSLR sensor developed a lot of hot pixels over time that I should map out. ?
- No backlight bleeding at all.
- There's a brighter circular spot around the mouse cursor, which is where the display's local dimming had to turn up the backlight a little bit. You cannot see this at all in person, the only thing you can see is the mouse cursor on a completely black background without any light halo around it, which is pretty impressive (I have another local dimming 4K display, the Acer Predator X27, which does a much much MUCH worse job at this - it's totally fine for gaming and movies, but a joke compared to Apple's XDR display).

I don't know how to judge the UFO photo, I hope I took it the correct way (1/400s exposure so that there's no blur due to the camera). Subjectively, I cannot see any ghosting, but I also can't see it on my MacBook Pro 16", so maybe I'm not very sensitive to it. Of course it's a big difference to a gaming-optimized 120 Hz panel in direct comparison, but it doesn't really bother me otherwise.

Edit: I read a bit more about the UFO test - don’t I need a “pursuit camera”, a camera mounted on a sliding rail, to accurately capture the photo so that we can see ghosting artifacts correctly? Maybe it’s easier to wait for a professional test for that one.

you are a great man, thanks for your return and kindness...

may I request request one more thing? There is an example video below which was recorded to Show ghosting with another method. When maC os is in dark mode, open preferences window and move it circular as it happens in video.If you capture this with external camera and share with us, we will be very happy.
Kind regards

nethead

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

I took two videos in 4K@60Hz, I hope these help you see what you're looking for. The first video is from the XDR display. Then I took a screenshot of the preferences window and did the same test using that on my Windows PC with an Acer Predator X27 IPS 120Hz gaming display (which I guess shouldn't have any ghosting or at least, as good as an IPS panel gets). I moved the window a bit too fast in the second test, but maybe it helps anyway to judge if there's difference.

To me, the XDR display does not have noticeable ghosting, but I understand if other people are more sensitive. After all, there's a market for 1ms gaming displays with TN panels, too. For anyone who watches the videos and thinks "OMG, this is horrible, look how the icons get distorted!" - this is not how it looks in real life, the camera with its electronic shutter plays a big role in the distortion and ghosting artifacts we are seeing here.

Apple XDR display:

Acer Predator X27:

Cheers,
Philipp

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Hi,

I took two videos in 4K@60Hz, I hope these help you see what you're looking for. The first video is from the XDR display. Then I took a screenshot of the preferences window and did the same test using that on my Windows PC with an Acer Predator X27 IPS 120Hz gaming display (which I guess shouldn't have any ghosting or at least, as good as an IPS panel gets). I moved the window a bit too fast in the second test, but maybe it helps anyway to judge if there's difference.

To me, the XDR display does not have noticeable ghosting, but I understand if other people are more sensitive. After all, there's a market for 1ms gaming displays with TN panels, too. For anyone who watches the videos and thinks "OMG, this is horrible, look how the icons get distorted!" - this is not how it looks in real life, the camera with its electronic shutter plays a big role in the distortion and ghosting artifacts we are seeing here.

Apple XDR display:

Acer Predator X27:

Cheers,
Philipp

thank you for your kindness and effort. I am very happy and i believe most of people related with display technology will benefit from your share. This will be a unique example and guide for people who cares this subject. Thank you very much again and happy new year...

Reactions: nethead

nethead

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
There is a 'PDX buyer's thread' in the 'Mac Pro' section in the Forum.
There are photos posted on the 5th page.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ad.2216359/page-5?post=28125614#post-28125614

The result was that, yes, PDX has very bad blooming.

No, it does not have "very bad blooming" for real usage. While - obviously - the two other monitors do a better job in that specific test of taking a picture of these screens with a camera in a completely dark room, under real usage one cannot see blooming on the XDR display. This is one thing that they managed to do really well.

In contrast, the Acer X27 has completely obvious blooming for any user under any kind of usage - if you just move your mouse cursor on a black background, you can see a bright white bloom follow it. There are also weird color artifacts, for example the edge of windows are sometimes slightly purple, because it dims too much in that zone. The XDR has nothing like that. It looks as good as an OLED display to human eyes (but not to a camera due to the technology being different, so if one often works with the screen by taking photos of it in a dark room, maybe it's not the right one).

Reactions: Adult80HD

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
There is a 'PDX buyer's thread' in the 'Mac Pro' section in the Forum.
There are photos posted on the 5th page.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ad.2216359/page-5?post=28125614#post-28125614

The result was that, yes, PDX has very bad blooming.

great share, thanks
[automerge]1578650808[/automerge]
Hi,

Apple XDR display:

Acer Predator X27:

Cheers,
Philipp

we know that xdr has local dimming so it is hard to check backlight bleeding with black background. At this point could you please set a background like the picture below and take a picture of it to detect screen uniformity and possible bleeding. The principle is simple: the background color have to be grey and close to black as possible. And photo has to be taken in fully dark room with %100 brightness.
thanks

Last edited:

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
No, it does not have "very bad blooming" for real usage. While - obviously - the two other monitors do a better job in that specific test of taking a picture of these screens with a camera in a completely dark room, under real usage one cannot see blooming on the XDR display. This is one thing that they managed to do really well.

In contrast, the Acer X27 has completely obvious blooming for any user under any kind of usage - if you just move your mouse cursor on a black background, you can see a bright white bloom follow it. There are also weird color artifacts, for example the edge of windows are sometimes slightly purple, because it dims too much in that zone. The XDR has nothing like that. It looks as good as an OLED display to human eyes (but not to a camera due to the technology being different, so if one often works with the screen by taking photos of it in a dark room, maybe it's not the right one).
Being a pro display, likely the only display apple will offer in the upcomming 10 years without increase in led number or other upgrades, this is not impressive.
[automerge]1578660691[/automerge]
great share, thanks
[automerge]1578650808[/automerge]

we know that xdr has local dimming so it is hard to check backlight bleeding with black background. At this point could you please set a background like the picture below and take a picture of it to detect screen uniformity and possible bleeding. The principle is simple: the background color have to be grey and close to black as possible. And photo has to be taken in fully dark room with %100 brightness.
thanks

Wow the grey image performance...
I don’t think apple is ready to release this display. Or it is delayed way too much, should been a product from two years ago and get upgrades.

• Haha
Reactions: Adult80HD

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Does anyone know what the response time of Apple Pro Display is?
[automerge]1579939656[/automerge]
Hi,

Apple XDR display:

Acer Predator X27:

Cheers,
Philipp

Dude could you please take 2 videos of macbook pro 16 and pro display xdr with same camera in same room which shows the text smearing during scroll. The scroll movement has to be smooth so if you plug the display to a mac and scroll with trackpad you can catch that smooth scroll otherwise mouse wheel does not adequate for this test. Kind regards...

Last edited:

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Does anyone know what the response time of Apple Pro Display is?
[automerge]1579939656[/automerge]

Dude could you please take 2 videos of macbook pro 16 and pro display xdr with same camera in same room which shows the text smearing during scroll. The scroll movement has to be smooth so if you plug the display to a mac and scroll with trackpad you can catch that smooth scroll otherwise mouse wheel does not adequate for this test. Kind regards...

Taking videos of LCD screens is a VERY slippery slope if you don't carefully control the variables like refresh rate and the camera's FPS rate. You can literally *create* apparent ghosting issues that are not visible to the human eye. Both the 16" MBP and the XDR have variable refresh rates so if someone is shooting a video they'd better know both the refresh rate the screen is set at the fps the video is set to record, or you will create an interactive effect, similar to when you can see fluorescent light flicker in a video because of the 60Hz refresh rate of the lights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.