Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
So my battery on my iPhone X has absolutely been trash recently. Apparently 7 mins of iMessage use took 48% of my battery a caused it to drain to 30% form 98% over night. I am taking it to Apple next Friday, as they most likely will have to do a battery replacement. If Apple insist of keeping my phone over night, will they offer me rental/loaner iPhone. If so, which generation iPhone do you get? I never got anything parts serviced or repaired before, so how long should it take for them to replace the battery? The same day I take it in or a few days?

Attachments

• IMG_0479.PNG
    IMG_0479.PNG
    472 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0482.PNG
    IMG_0482.PNG
    474.7 KB · Views: 277

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Sometimes they do, just depends on if you go into a store or send it in but a battery replacement takes like 1-2 hours or they'll just replace the phone.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
No they won’t give you a loaner. A battery replacement should take less than 30 minutes. They won’t need to keep it. I’m assuming you’ve made an appointment at an Apple store. Be there on time or better yet a few minutes early. Follow any directions they may email you. You’ll be in and out in no time.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Sometimes they do, just depends on if you go into a store or send it in but a battery replacement takes like 1-2 hours or they'll just replace the phone.

I’m guessing that with the new $29 battery replacement program every Apple store will have a battery replacement assembly line in the back room. Having replaced my own 6 plus battery a few weeks ago, I’m confident that with the right tools and some experience a tech can bang out a new battery every 15 minutes or so.... just a guess though.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
So my battery on my iPhone X has absolutely been trash recently. Apparently 7 mins of iMessage use took 48% of my battery a caused it to drain to 30% form 98% over night. I am taking it to Apple next Friday, as they most likely will have to do a battery replacement. If Apple insist of keeping my phone over night, will they offer me rental/loaner iPhone. If so, which generation iPhone do you get? I never got anything parts serviced or repaired before, so how long should it take for them to replace the battery? The same day I take it in or a few days?

You may qualify for an in-store exchange for a brand new out of box device since the phones are more readily available these days plus Apple has a return window closing later this month, but gotta check your receipt and it also depends if you purchased it from them vs a carrier.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There used to be a time where carriers and even Apple (Rarely at times), would issue a borrowed phone, but those days are really no longer applicable. Its the risk the loaned phone provided to the customer can be broken or 'Lost', which now is cost prohibitive to the company to cover the costs.

iKevinT

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
They told me to come back in 1-1/2 hours. Talking to support when scheduling the appointment they said to make it early in the day for best chance at getting it back same day. It might only take 1/2 hour to do the work but they’re busy. 2 times now I’ve had an iPhone replaced and they never gave me a replacement in new phone packaging, by Verizon or Apple, just the phone wrapped in the plastic wrapper.

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
I would have thought giving you a replacement phone would be problematic. To make it completely functional it would need to be a Clone of your existing device or at the very least restored from an encrypted copy of your existing phone. Even then it would create problems for Find My Iphone and 2 step verification which requires a trusted device. Hardly worth it for a day.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I’m guessing that with the new $29 battery replacement program every Apple store will have a battery replacement assembly line in the back room. Having replaced my own 6 plus battery a few weeks ago, I’m confident that with the right tools and some experience a tech can bang out a new battery every 15 minutes or so.... just a guess though.

by law, rechargeable batteries can't be shipped with more than like a 20% charge. so by the time a store gets it and uses it, the dang thing is likely at like 2%. unless they are total morons there's no way they will give you the phone back in that condition so you can count on a good 20-30 minutes of it being charged and then diagnostics being run again before they will say it's ready.

and I highly doubt any big assembly line in going on at anything but the biggest stores. they aren't likely to have tons of parts in and the repair areas probably aren't that big and are being used by folks doing computer repairs also. at least they might have like 3-4 folks at the same time in a medium sized store. those tiny little ones that haven't been remodeled yet might have only 1 person doing all iPhone repairs
[doublepost=1515455609][/doublepost]
I would have thought giving you a replacement phone would be problematic. To make it completely functional it would need to be a Clone of your existing device or at the very least restored from an encrypted copy of your existing phone. Even then it would create problems for Find My Iphone and 2 step verification which requires a trusted device. Hardly worth it for a day.

replacing a phone, when it's justified, isn't a problem at all. They make you turn off find my iPhone before they do the swap and 2step can use a text or a phone call. as for clones, that's your issue not theirs. they don't backup devices to anything in store. you have to have backed it up on your own computer or done an iCloud backup that you verified completed and nothing was turned off. For about the last 3 months or so they actually make folks, at least in the US, sign a waiver before they will even run diagnostics that they have zero liability for your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.