Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you have also problems with the step of disabling iCloud in IOS 9.2.1/9.3.1?

• YES "disable iCloud" was irresponsiv for a while

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • NO, the "button" Disable iCloud" was as responsive as the rest of the buttons

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • I wanted to disable but enabled non-voluntary

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
It seems that Apple wants to force their customers to enable iCloud:

Already the updates of two different iPhones from 7.1.2 to 9.2.1 and one iPhone 5s from 8.4 one month ago stopped with the step of enabling/disabling iCloud:

The "button" for activation is much larger than that of disactivation and the latter is at the very lowest point. That is not all: The space between the two "buttons" is very little - so you must really be careful if you want to tap on "Desactivation" .

This is topped by the fact that already one month ago the "button" to disactivate iCloud was NON_RESPONSIVE for at least 30-60 seconds. I tapped like a fool and NOTHING happened - while ALL other steps concerning other things than iCloud were perfectly responding!
This was all the same with all THREE different iPhones, so a hardware-problem can be absolutely excluded.

Today, it was even worst: The "button" was NON-RESPONSIV for at least 5 minutes!
Be aware: You have NO CHANCE to bypass this step.

After at least 5 minutes and getting more and more angry about apple playing the blacklister card it finally worked.

I find this really scandalous since I refuse any Cloud service and strictly backup only locally.

VERY BAD POLICY, apple !!!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
We don't setup any of our iOS test devices to use iCloud (and we're regularly wiping them, so running thorough iOS setup is something we do a lot). Haven't noticed any delay like you have. Maybe it's a regional thing.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
We don't setup any of our iOS test devices to use iCloud (and we're regularly wiping them, so running thorough iOS setup is something we do a lot). Haven't noticed any delay like you have. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Maybe it´s regional, but I doubt that to be.
At least the UI for the step leads you to ENABLE by the placement of the "buttons" - that ewas the first thing i got "astonished" about and the delay made me really agree.

I am situated in Europe - so it might be also just a simple delay of transatlantic data transfer, I don´t know. It is also for that reason that I am interested whether this delay of reaction is widespread or not.

The GUI of this step is nevertheless at least to say very manipulative … no good customer policy.
[doublepost=1459795050][/doublepost]

So you have the same security priorities as me - but I never wiped iCloud.
I think this is a good idea.
Can you tell me how to do that without risking to non-volontarily activating it or so?
Thanks in advance.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yup, petty much the same here--no issues with easily selecting not to use iCloud or easily enabling or disabling it when needed.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
Yup, petty much the same here--no issues with easily selecting not to use iCloud or easily enabling or disabling it when needed.

so - perhaps it is indeed just the data transfer (= contacting iCloud service) which causes the delay from Europe?

On the other hand I actually cannot imagine that any iCloud contact (even from Europe) has a delay of at least 30 seconds up to some minutes…. particularly since there are iCloud services at least in Ireland...
Would be interesting if other non-US-Users than me could share their experiences with me.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Perfectly fine also.....I use iCloud since the beginning, never had any problem with it.....

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
Maybe it´s regional, but I doubt that to be.
At least the UI for the step leads you to ENABLE by the placement of the "buttons" - that ewas the first thing i got "astonished" about and the delay made me really agree.

I am situated in Europe - so it might be also just a simple delay of transatlantic data transfer, I don´t know. It is also for that reason that I am interested whether this delay of reaction is widespread or not.

The GUI of this step is nevertheless at least to say very manipulative … no good customer policy.

Just like everything else in the set-up assistant, it leads you to enable the default settings. The best example is a passcode, it makes you choose "Passcode Options" to disable the feature. Nothing in the set-up assistant is "forced", except maybe having to join a Wi-Fi network.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
It seems that Apple wants to force their customers to enable iCloud:

Already the updates of two different iPhones from 7.1.2 to 9.2.1 and one iPhone 5s from 8.4 one month ago stopped with the step of enabling/disabling iCloud:

The "button" for activation is much larger than that of disactivation and the latter is at the very lowest point. That is not all: The space between the two "buttons" is very little - so you must really be careful if you want to tap on "Desactivation" .

This is topped by the fact that already one month ago the "button" to disactivate iCloud was NON_RESPONSIVE for at least 30-60 seconds. I tapped like a fool and NOTHING happened - while ALL other steps concerning other things than iCloud were perfectly responding!
This was all the same with all THREE different iPhones, so a hardware-problem can be absolutely excluded.

Today, it was even worst: The "button" was NON-RESPONSIV for at least 5 minutes!
Be aware: You have NO CHANCE to bypass this step.

After at least 5 minutes and getting more and more angry about apple playing the blacklister card it finally worked.

I find this really scandalous since I refuse any Cloud service and strictly backup only locally.

VERY BAD POLICY, apple !!!

Another one of this I don't trust the cloud so I prefer to live like the 90s.
Not using iCloud on iPhones literally cuts the user experience in half. Of course Apple wants people to turn it on by default.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
so - perhaps it is indeed just the data transfer (= contacting iCloud service) which causes the delay from Europe?

On the other hand I actually cannot imagine that any iCloud contact (even from Europe) has a delay of at least 30 seconds up to some minutes…. particularly since there are iCloud services at least in Ireland...
Would be interesting if other non-US-Users than me could share their experiences with me.
Just so you are aware, Apple has servers all over the planet to serve the regions they are located in. I guarantee you that there is one in Europe :p

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I've never used iCloud, and I've never had any difficulty turning it off during the initial phone setup after major upgrades.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
OP posted the same thing in another thread here and I responded. Since you decided to make a new thread about it I'll repost my reply again here:

iCloud is more likely to help you rather than hurt you. But you're right, you can choose to not use iCloud. However, it's very doubtful that Apple purposely disabled a button to force you to use iCloud. I haven't had that issue at all when I do my updates and I do all my encrypted backups on iTunes. You're probably just experiencing a bug during the setup process. Just chill ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.