Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you for your repplies. I am working with digital, so the 17-85mm. seems like a good option.
It is just a shame that because of the 1.6x factor, it doesn't
get to be as wide as with the Lens for Nikon.

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Most Nikon bodies have a 1.5x crop factor -- is the difference such a deal breaker?

Also consider the 16-35mm and 10-22mm Canon options.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS doesn't have the most amazing reputation.

Sigma has a new lens that might be a good choice:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3359&navigator=6

It's and 18-50 f/2.8-4.5 lens. It doesn't have as wide a zoom range (which will probably mean less barrel distortion at the wide end and better sharpness at the long end. It's also 2/3 to a stop faster than the Nikon and Canon lenses, and is probably more solidly built. It's a new lens so reviews aren't out yet.

Another option on the Canon is the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS. It's so much less than these other options that it's worth considering. Use the difference to get a flash or put more money into other lenses you're considering.

Are you looking at lens review sites? See the sticky at the top of this forum for some good ones.

Is image stabilization essential?

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you very much for your answers again : ) !!!

IS can be helpful for me. I tend to do quite a bit of
photoshooting with low light.

The Sigma lens looks like a good alternative. I'll
wait for some reviews to come out. Hopefully the
lens will not be too soft like some Sigmas that I
have had.

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Canon has this one:
EF 24-105 f/4 ISL (~$1029 ). The following link shows most Canon lenses, and most other lenses for Canon cameras from other manufacturers (Sigma Tamron, etc.).

However, not all lenses that can be used with Canon EOS mounts (Leitz lenses, Pentax, Nikon, Vivitar, etc.) are shown.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141406

Fantastic. Except he wants an equivalent to Nikon's 16-85, especially at the wide end. It seems Canon does not have an identical lens, rather some broadly similar ones.

Experiment13

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2004
Sony Zeiss 16 - 80mm = incredible pictures

Everyone on this forum seems to believe that Nikon and Canon are the only cameras made. Sony (was Konica-Minolta) has what might be called the best carry around DSLR lens made. Check reviews for the Sony Zeiss 16 - 80mm (24 - 120mm equivalent) f3.5-4.5. Stabilization is built into the camera. The lens is extremely sharp with wonderful colors. I had one and it drew beautiful pictures. Look at pictures in dpreview or flickr that have been taken by this lens.

I regrettably sold it and bought the Zeiss 85mm f1.4 for low light portraits. It cannot really be beat. The 135mm Zeiss f1.8 is even better.

Sony has good cameras, makes the sensors for Nikon and others, and is the only brand that has access to autofocus Zeiss prime or zoom lenses. Worth every penny. One can, though, buy manual Zeiss lenses for Nikon, Pentax, and Canon.

BTW My normal-wide angle range is also Zeiss, only on a Leica M8.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Everyone on this forum seems to believe that Nikon and Canon are the only cameras made. Sony (was Konica-Minolta) has what might be called the best carry around DSLR lens made. Check reviews for the Sony Zeiss 16 - 80mm (24 - 120mm equivalent) f3.5-4.5. Stabilization is built into the camera. The lens is extremely sharp with wonderful colors. I had one and it drew beautiful pictures. Look at pictures in dpreview or flickr that have been taken by this lens.

I regrettably sold it and bought the Zeiss 85mm f1.4 for low light portraits. It cannot really be beat. The 135mm Zeiss f1.8 is even better.

Sony has good cameras, makes the sensors for Nikon and others, and is the only brand that has access to autofocus Zeiss prime or zoom lenses. Worth every penny. One can, though, buy manual Zeiss lenses for Nikon, Pentax, and Canon.

BTW My normal-wide angle range is also Zeiss, only on a Leica M8.

That Zeiss lens sounds pretty unimpressive to me, actually. $750 for a plastic, variable aperture f/3.5-4.5 lens that you have to manually switch from AF to MF to focus manually?

SLRgear's review:

While Sony may advertise this lens as professional-grade, its optical quality doesn't quite reach the level of what we would expect for a professional lens; sharpness is a mixed bag, performing well when stopped down to ƒ/5.6 or ƒ/8, but showing signs of significant corner softness outside of that range. The lens vignettes significantly at wide angle (16mm), but chromatic aberration and distortion are fairly well controlled. That said, for the range of focal length possibilities, and a half-stop more speed than the regular 18-70mm ''kit'' lens, the lens doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and certainly performs better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.