Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
I've been reading a number of stories on MacRumors and 9to5 (the latest being this story) that several Mac utility apps have been caught stealing user information when used (like browser history).

I've no reason to suspect CleanMyMac by MacPaw does the same–but as it's a utility app and other apps like it are stealing user information, is there a way to tell if CleanMyMac is doing the same?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The first piece of advice I give any new Mac users is to never buy or install any app that claims to optimize, clean, organize, or otherwise keep your Mac running smooth. This includes anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-malware, or anti anything else.

All of those apps, whether legit or not, tend to cause more problems than they fix. Half of what these apps do is done automatically by the System if you leave the computer overnight anyway. A good majority of the rest of what they do can be done either with the Terminal, or with a free app like Onyx (empty caches, etc.).

Numerous people will come in and say that they swear by XYZ app because it has saved their bacon a number of times. My response is always the same. I don't run those apps and I never have problems to begin with.

At the very least, they will slow your system down.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've been reading a number of stories on MacRumors and 9to5 (the latest being this story) that several Mac utility apps have been caught stealing user information when used (like browser history).

I've no reason to suspect CleanMyMac by MacPaw does the same–but as it's a utility app and other apps like it are stealing user information, is there a way to tell if CleanMyMac is doing the same?
Whether they steal information or not, I would not recommend using CleanMyMac or any similar apps. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're almost out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. macOS does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

You also don't need such apps for app removal, since no such app does a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

In the interest of keeping your Mac running well and limiting the possibility of problems, stay far away from CleanMyMac and other such apps.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
My response is always the same. I don't run those apps and I never have problems to begin with.
Exactly! I never use those apps and never had problems that needed them to fix.
I do got some problems time to time like weird safari bookmarks syncing or finder glitches, but these are apple's problem and can't be fixed by those Anti-XXX apps neither.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a

As an Apple certified technician who has used and supported Macs for over 20 years, I'm not going to wade into the opinion minefield about these types of programs. However, if you're concerned about exfiltration, consider using a utility such as LittleSnitch so you can see if something is trying to connect out of your machine... I've used it for years, and it keeps my machine locked down tight and lets me know when something is trying to "phone home" when I've locked it down.

MacDann

Reactions: Apple_Robert

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
As an Apple certified technician who has used and supported Macs for over 20 years, I'm not going to wade into the opinion minefield about these types of programs. However, if you're concerned about exfiltration, consider using a utility such as LittleSnitch so you can see if something is trying to connect out of your machine... I've used it for years, and it keeps my machine locked down tight and lets me know when something is trying to "phone home" when I've locked it down.

MacDann
I use LS as well, it's a great 1st line of defense. But don't kid yourself into believing that LS isn't easily bypassed by any developer willing to put the extra effort into coding.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I use LS as well, it's a great 1st line of defense. But don't kid yourself into believing that LS isn't easily bypassed by any developer willing to put the extra effort into coding.

True. However, it’s a far better first line of defense than nothing.

I would also state that when it comes to utility software, there has been nothing better (in my opinion based on 20+ years experience) than Disk Warrior.

MacDann

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.