Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Hi all, can anyone testing the 13.2 beta on an iPhone 11 series device test to see if Deep Fusion works with digital zoom.

From reading up about Deep Fusion it will work in medium to low light settings (mainly indoor photography) and will work on both the Telephoto and Main lenses on the Pro and the Main Lens on the standard 11 due to the OIS these lenses have.

I am curious to see if Deep Fusion will improve a digitally zoomed photo, as I only have a regular 11 I will digital zoom more than someone with a Pro device.

The other day I took a photo of my little girl in the school choir performing at the harvest festival and due to being sat a few rows back I needed to digitally zoom to get a decent picture of her, now the picture was ok but as expected full of noise and very soft, now in theory if Deep Fusion works like it is promised to that photo should be a lot better post 13.2 update.

I don’t see no reason why it wouldn’t work when Digitally Zoomed as all you are doing is cropping in to the original image, but you never know with these things.

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
Bump, anyone running the beta able to test this for me please.
I don't think Deep Fusion is going help in the situation you describe. Digital zoom is enlarging pixels and is always going add noise softness.

You can try editing in the photo and reduce noise and sharpen.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Yeah I understand that digital zoom will add noise and softness, however if deep fusion is also working to reduce that at the same time then surely the photo will be a bit better when taken?

I’ve seen the comparison Jonathon Morrison on YouTube did and Deep Fusion reduces the noise grain quite considerably, so if you were zooming in as deep fusion was working then surely a lot of the noise grain would be gone and therefore not present as much to enlarge when zoomed if that makes sense?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah I understand that digital zoom will add noise and softness, however if deep fusion is also working to reduce that at the same time then surely the photo will be a bit better when taken?

I’ve seen the comparison Jonathon Morrison on YouTube did and Deep Fusion reduces the noise grain quite considerably, so if you were zooming in as deep fusion was working then surely a lot of the noise grain would be gone and therefore not present as much to enlarge when zoomed if that makes sense?
I'll post a couple of 10x soon samples at 100% crop, in about two hours. Unless someone beats me to it.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Ok so I'm sitting at a coffee shop and there's a framed picture on the wall directly across from me, about 15ft away. I zoomed in 10x on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, and took two pictures - one with Deep Fusion and one without. I then cropped both pictures to square, and applied an "Auto" adjustment. I think it's pretty 'clear' (haha) which one was Deep Fusion-ified.

Click to enlarge.
F424A7B6-083B-4048-A4EF-D086213815FE.jpeg

B6357C4D-C6E9-4EDB-A07F-2BE7AD9C325C.jpeg

Reactions: atton and Howard2k

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
The 2nd picture looks clearer or at least more has contrast so I’m gonna say that’s the Deep Fusion picture, and to be honest that’s quite impressive.

I’m glad it does work with digital zoom, as I think that is where I will notice the effects of Deep Fusion the most.

Thanks for that comparison.

Last edited:

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Actually the more I look at it the more I’d say the first one is the deep fusion image, as the contrast look of the 2nd one looks more like ISO grain.

If I hold my screen away from my face the 1st image although less less contrast than the 2nd seems less noisy.

You’re gonna have to put me out of my misery which is it?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
The Deep Fusion pic was the second one, the one with more contrast and detail. Here's another example I just took; 10x zoom, a fence post under a street light. No editing in post; original pics and then zoomed screen captures.

Click to enlarge.
B4CC5C8D-CBD0-470A-8C97-CAC9E5D84CA6.jpeg

A734A63F-7C18-4A41-A8EB-2135497C139F.jpeg

Zoomed in, screen caps:
BA703247-9AD6-4CA2-8969-3740E8A47162.png

91B2DA42-E085-48ED-93B6-F2BDA244837D.png

Reactions: atton

atton

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2016
London, UK
Can I ask som
The Deep Fusion pic was the second one, the one with more contrast and detail. Here's another example I just took; 10x zoom, a fence post under a street light. No editing in post; original pics and then zoomed screen captures.

Click to enlarge.
View attachment 868242

View attachment 868243

Zoomed in, screen caps:
View attachment 868245

View attachment 868244
May I ask a possibly daft question? I thought you can't manually enable/disable Deep Fusion. How are you able to take a picture with and then without it enabled? Thank you!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Can I ask som

May I ask a possibly daft question? I thought you can't manually enable/disable Deep Fusion. How are you able to take a picture with and then without it enabled? Thank you!
To disable it, you turn on the option to capture photos outside the frame. I usually leave that option disabled, because I find Deep Fusion far more useful.

38B937EB-62BD-4593-9D44-21413C31DE23.png

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
i initially thought it was the 2nd one but then wasn’t sure if the darker elements were the brushwork of the picture or ISO noise. Either way it’s very impressive that it can bring out extra detail and contrast at full zoom, certainly looking forward to getting Deep Fusion on my 11.

Also the 2nd example you’ve given, I’d like to say the first is the Deep Fusion image as it looks a little sharper and more pronounced around the S emblem in the middle

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
i initially thought it was the 2nd one but then wasn’t sure if the darker elements were the brushwork of the picture or ISO noise. Either way it’s very impressive that it can bring out extra detail and contrast at full zoom, certainly looking forward to getting Deep Fusion on my 11.

Also the 2nd example you’ve given, I’d like to say the first is the Deep Fusion image as it looks a little sharper and more pronounced around the S emblem in the middle
Yup, the Deep Fusion version has far more detail around the foundry's "S" mark, plus around the chipped paint, and the light reflections on the paint texture as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.