Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael.r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2021
I'm on iOS 14.4. "Download iOS updates" (Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates) is deactivated (possible since iOS 13.6). There's still no red badge on the Settings app for iOS 14.4.1, which was released about 2 weeks ago, so it seems like iOS actually stops actively searching for OS updates if automatic downloads are turned off. I find that quite hard to believe. Would be glad if someone could confirm or refute that.

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
iOS will find any new update. Unfortunately, you can't block this, even by installing tvOS profiles as you could in iOS 13.

michael.r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2021
Thanks for the feedback. I'm used to iOS being quite pushy about updates. I don't use Wi-Fi, and activate mobile data only a couple of hours per day (never when charging). Perhaps that's the reason why there's still no red badge. "Software Updates" (Cellular > System Services) is online regularly. Could be that it only searches for OS updates once a week or so.

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks for the feedback. I'm used to iOS being quite pushy about updates. I don't use Wi-Fi, and activate mobile data only a couple of hours per day (never when charging). Perhaps that's the reason why there's still no red badge. "Software Updates" (Cellular > System Services) is online regularly. Could be that it only searches for OS updates once a week or so.
It'll only check if it's plugged in charging and has data I believe. I don't think it checks while on battery.

michael.r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2021
It'll only check if it's plugged in charging and has data I believe. I don't think it checks while on battery.
Could be. Don't see why Apple would do that, though, since one check shouldn't consume more energy or data than checking emails. My best guess is that iOS checks for OS updates only once in a while, perhaps to prevent server overload. As I understand it, there's no way to prevent these checks on a non-jailbroken phone; sooner or later my phone will notify me. If I should be wrong about this, if there's a way to permanently keep the phone from checking (I would definitely prefer that), I would be glad about any suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.