Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
A few months ago, I bought a refurbished M1 Mac Mini from Apple direct, with AppleCare.

A couple of weeks ago, something bizarre happened in my home. The dog went on a rampage and crashed into the furniture. Before we could get the dog under control, the dog ran through the power cords, swiftly knocking the Mac Mini and monitor to the floor. Later that day, I picked everything up, unplugged everything, re-plugged it in, and booted-up the Mini. I started up just fine.

Something strange has been happening the last couple of weeks, though. Whenever I wake the Mini from sleep in the morning, I am greeted by a log-in screen. I don't understand what's happening. Is the Mini rebooting overnight, every night? Why? Is there anything I can do to correct this, or is there something wrong with the Mini?

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
That's so weird. I used to have those types of issues when I first bought my MBA back in 2020. Try reinstalling macOS, and see if that helps. What version of macOS are you running?

If it's <12.0 Monterey, use Recovery to wipe the drive, but if it's on ≥12.0 Monterey or later, use Erase All Content and Settings, NOT recovery!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Check energy saver settings and some other setting I can’t think of right now. I recently was mucking around in settings to change log in prompt behavior- and there are settings you can tweak to change wake from sleep behavior.
I don’t know why a fall to the floor would change them - but worth exploring

Reactions: Wingsley

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Check energy saver settings and some other setting I can’t think of right now. I recently was mucking around in settings to change log in prompt behavior- and there are settings you can tweak to change wake from sleep behavior.
I don’t know why a fall to the floor would change them - but worth exploring

Here is what I found:

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.32.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.32.13 PM.png

My M1 Mac Mini is still running MacOS Monterey 12.3.1. Disk Utility First Aid didn't find any problems.

I tried updating the MacOS to Ventura 13.01 a few nights ago before bed, and the update started to download, but when I got back to the Mini the next morning I was greeted with the startup/log-in screen as if the machine had involuntarily rebooted again. So the machine is rebooting and it is still on Monterey.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.32.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.32.00 PM.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.32.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.32.13 PM.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 83

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I don't think your dog had anything to do with it. It is probably a software glitch. It can happen.

Open settings --> Type Screen Lock in the search bar. There you will find if you need to enter a password when the screen or the Mini goes to sleep.

Reactions: Gudi and Wingsley

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I don't think your dog had anything to do with it. It is probably a software glitch. It can happen.

Open settings --> Type Screen Lock in the search bar. There you will find if you need to enter a password when the screen or the Mini goes to sleep.
The System Preferences panel "Security & Privacy" window for "General" indicates that the "Require password..." box is not checked.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Here's what I would try. I would check the box for "require password" after sleep or screen saver begins. Reboot, go back and uncheck the option reboot a second time and try and see if you no longer get the Login box.

Last edited:

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I am going to attempt to install MacOS Ventura to see if that clears up the problem...

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I installed Ventura early this evening. I could not boot from my bootable thumb drive. So I just installed Ventura directly without booting from the thumb drive. The Ventura install happened without any problems. When I went back to the Mac Mini to wake it from sleep, it had already involuntarily rebooted.

Sigh...

So, I still have the problem.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I installed Ventura early this evening. I could not boot from my bootable thumb drive. So I just installed Ventura directly without booting from the thumb drive. The Ventura install happened without any problems. When I went back to the Mac Mini to wake it from sleep, it had already involuntarily rebooted.

Sigh...

So, I still have the problem.
It seems quite safe to assume that the computer being dropped on the floor has damaged it.

carylee2002

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2008

Try safe mode and use disc utility first. You don't need to use a third party program but I have fixed my programing using it this way.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Just a thought, you're sure 'Log out automatically after inactivity' isn't turned on?
View attachment 2131790
A day or two before you posted this, I talked to a friend who lives in another state. This friend is a retired I.T. admin. He asked me, pointedly, about this same issue. I checked my Mac Mini et voila! Problem solved!

I changed the Mini's settings. The Mini has not involuntarily rebooted since. So, it looks like it wasn't crashing all along.

My assumption is that this change in settings accidentally occurred when the dog went on her rampage.

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
A day or two before you posted this, I talked to a friend who lives in another state. This friend is a retired I.T. admin. He asked me, pointedly, about this same issue. I checked my Mac Mini et voila! Problem solved!

I changed the Mini's settings. The Mini has not involuntarily rebooted since. So, it looks like it wasn't crashing all along.

My assumption is that this change in settings accidentally occurred when the dog went on her rampage.
Great! Glad it’s sorted.

Reactions: Wingsley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.