Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LvO92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Hello everyone, I have a Mac mini with a 16GB of ram on a M1 chip. I've read a lot about Parallels and considering using it to use Windows 11.
My understanding is that Parallels is an emulator. Does it slow down macOS? What's been macOS users experience with Parallels with Windows 11? How good is Parallels with games? These maybe newbie questions, but I hope nobody minds answering.

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I have installed Parallels on both MP’s I use, running MacOS, Windows, and Linux as VM’s. My advice is this. Standard Parallels Desktop is not good enough for games or demanding apps like PS, for it allocates 8GB RAM max for each VM, let alone video card memory. Also, you might not get full resolution on the monitor. You can come round those limitations with the top Parallels version, but that costs a lot.

Thus, 16GB plus Parallels will bring the Mac to its limits. Low internal disk capacity is not an issue, though; you can store the VM’s on external disks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.