Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superjill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2024
Hi everyone
Just as the title
Does PowerColor HD 7750 2GB DDR3 work in Mac Pro 2012?
I wanna put my old working HD 7750 2GB DDR3 from PowerColor into old Mac Pro 2012, but it doesn't seem to work at all
7750 has been working in PC desktop all along, and the Mac has been working with GT 120

Screen shows nothing if I just put 7750 into the Mac even nothing by booting with OpenCore

If both of 7750 and GT 120 are into the Mac, progress bar freezes at the middle, and the screen must connect to GT 120, otherwise shows nothing if connecting to 7750

And also not any luck by flash the rom following the threads

And I also can google lots of post about this card compatible with macOS, such as

Any idea that it is possible to make it work into Mac?

Cheers

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Flashing a GPU with a macEFI is only for getting pre-boot configuration support, won't change anything with driver/kext support of macOS for this GPU. If your GPU worked with macOS with the factory firmware, you wouldn't get any BootScreens, but later after macOS loaded the kexts for the GPU, the display would work.

Apple never used a Cape Verde based GPU with any Mac, so the support for this specific GPU chip is not as good as GPUs based with HD 78xx or HD 79xx that were sold with several models of Macs back in 2013ish, only some PCIe IDs are supported by AMD7000Controller.kext.

My advice is to forget this one and get a better GPU.

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
May work, but without bootscreen and only below OSX 10.10.3 (yes, it is Yosemite), because Apple changed something to the drivers and you run into the "black screen problem".

Forget bootscreen with modified Apple EFI, many IDs had to be changed in decompressed EFI bytecode.

Reactions: superjill
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.