Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
When I first received my new 5th gen iPP 12.9 I tried to set it up using the quick start feature and my 3rd gen iPP which it replaced. When I started up the new Pro the quick start option appeared with the instructions to bring the other device close and scan the display on the screen. I’ve done this several times in the past when setting up new phones but had not done it with an iPad. When I brought the 3rd gen iPP over the quick start option never appeared. The device was on the latest software, Bluetooth and WiFi were enabled. To complete the set up I had to bring my phone over and quick start immediately appeared on it and the set up completed with no issue.

Then later on I wiped the 3rd gen Pro since my wife was going to be using it, replacing her original 12.9 Pro. After wiping the device and starting it up again the quick start option was offered with the same instructions to bring a device close. I brought her old iPP over, again all devices on the latest software, Bluetooth and WiFi enabled, but the quick start option did not appear on the old Pro. I brought her phone over and it immediately displayed quick start and the ipad was quickly set up with no issues.

Looking this up on Google I found various articles and even YouTube videos showing the process but in each case the person setting up the new ipad brought his phone over to complete the process. I couldn’t find anyone using another ipad in this way. Does this process work from ipad to ipad? If not it seems like it would be a problem for those who only have iPads and not iPhones.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
When I first received my new 5th gen iPP 12.9 I tried to set it up using the quick start feature and my 3rd gen iPP which it replaced. When I started up the new Pro the quick start option appeared with the instructions to bring the other device close and scan the display on the screen. I’ve done this several times in the past when setting up new phones but had not done it with an iPad. When I brought the 3rd gen iPP over the quick start option never appeared. The device was on the latest software, Bluetooth and WiFi were enabled. To complete the set up I had to bring my phone over and quick start immediately appeared on it and the set up completed with no issue.

Then later on I wiped the 3rd gen Pro since my wife was going to be using it, replacing her original 12.9 Pro. After wiping the device and starting it up again the quick start option was offered with the same instructions to bring a device close. I brought her old iPP over, again all devices on the latest software, Bluetooth and WiFi enabled, but the quick start option did not appear on the old Pro. I brought her phone over and it immediately displayed quick start and the ipad was quickly set up with no issues.

Looking this up on Google I found various articles and even YouTube videos showing the process but in each case the person setting up the new ipad brought his phone over to complete the process. I couldn’t find anyone using another ipad in this way. Does this process work from ipad to ipad? If not it seems like it would be a problem for those who only have iPads and not iPhones.
I set up my new 2021 iPad Pro from my 5 year old iPad Pro with the quick set up, next to each other. Worked fine for me.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I tried to transfer the 2018 to the 2021 via the "side-by-side" method. The apps were still downloading onto the 2021 2 days later. I had to just wipe the 2021 clean, and use the iCloud backup per Apple Support.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
The process from the phones worked very well with no issues on both iPads. There was an iCloud restore involved to get the latest data from the previous devices but that took place very quickly. But I can’t figure out what prevented the quick start feature from coming up on the old iPads. I don’t know of any setting on the devices that can trigger this to appear. After waiting about 2 minutes each time I just gave up and pulled a phone over and boom it was done.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Worked from the Air 4 to a 2021 Pro, but did not work when I tried the reverse (I went back to an Air 4)
That’s curious too. As far as I know as long as the devices are using a recent iOS version, I don’t remember when quick start was introduced, and you’re signed in to your iCloud account the feature should just appear on both devices. I don’t recall now whether your iCloud password is entered on the new device before quick start is offered but I assume it is. It always worked so quickly on my phones that I really didn’t have to think about it. But I had never set an iPad up this way. It has worked so smoothly and quickly on the phones without having to enter multiple passwords that it’s practically a no brainer to use. So I was disappointed at not having it function from the iPads. But using the phones was just about as smooth, and I assume I’ll probably always have a phone available.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Tried to set up an iPhone 8+ the other day, from an XR. I did it next to an iPad Pro 2018 12.9, and the iPad offered to do it before the iPhone did, cancelled the iPad, then the phone offered. Seems to work cross device quite well, even relatively older devices.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Tried to set up an iPhone 8+ the other day, from an XR. I did it next to an iPad Pro 2018 12.9, and the iPad offered to do it before the iPhone did, cancelled the iPad, then the phone offered. Seems to work cross device quite well, even relatively older devices.
Thanks guys. At least I know it’s supposed to work but for some reason didn’t for me. I’ll just make sure to keep our phones nearby the next time I have the opportunity.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Worked from going to my 7th gen iPad to the new pro 11. Need to make sure Bluetooth is on for it to work.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Worked from going to my 7th gen iPad to the new pro 11. Need to make sure Bluetooth is on for it to work.
As noted above Bluetooth, WiFi were on. Always enabled. The phones responded immediately, neither iPad did. A mystery.

Reactions: kazmac

The Mad Mule

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I had this happen over the weekend, a 2016 iPad Pro with the latest software could not detect a 2021 iPad Pro for Quick Setup. Ended up powering off both devices, then turning the 2016 back on before the 2021, and after another minute, the new iPad Pro showed up in the Bluetooth menu and the Quick Setup option popped up.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
new iPad Pro showed up in the Bluetooth menu and the Quick Setup option popped up.
I did not check Bluetooth settings, other than to see that it was on, on the old iPads. Maybe I’ll try this next time. One other aspect to all this that I didn’t mention before. All the iPads were WiFi/cellular models. I had turned off the old iPads and then removed the sims from them. Restarted them, placed the sims in the new iPads to just carry over the cell service prior to ever starting them. Then I started them up and when I got to the set up screen and saw the quick option I brought the old iPads over and just did a quick check to see that Bluetooth was on. But no option appeared on them. I don’t know if that would make any difference nor why it would.

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
i tried it air2 to pro 2018, royal pain in the **, it would show the image but not advance. I ended up updating air2 from 4.5* to 4.6 or whatever the latest i forget. Then finally 2 hours later.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
That’s curious too. As far as I know as long as the devices are using a recent iOS version, I don’t remember when quick start was introduced, and you’re signed in to your iCloud account the feature should just appear on both devices. I don’t recall now whether your iCloud password is entered on the new device before quick start is offered but I assume it is. It always worked so quickly on my phones that I really didn’t have to think about it. But I had never set an iPad up this way. It has worked so smoothly and quickly on the phones without having to enter multiple passwords that it’s practically a no brainer to use. So I was disappointed at not having it function from the iPads. But using the phones was just about as smooth, and I assume I’ll probably always have a phone available.
Indeed, odd. Both had bluetooth, WiFi enabled and I think, iCloud.

Had to send my Procreate art to the new Air 4 using Airdrop (at least that worked).

Quick Start is great... when it works.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Worked from my 2020 iPad Pro to my 2021 M1 iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.