Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I recently listened to a Mac Power Users episode which covered Safari. I'm really hyped to get back the Safari browser train, but the big blocker is the lack of user profiles. I log into social media, email, and other accounts simultaneously with different accounts, so each account needs to have its own cookie jar to manage session information separately from other accounts.

There was an application called SwitchUp that supposedly could do this, but their page states that it is no longer in development.

1) Is Safari going to get user profile support?
2) If not, is there a currently supported application that can let me log into the same websites( eg Twitter , Facebook ) with different account simultaneously?

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Private browsing windows will do what you want, but won't record history either.

For twitter, you could try https://tweetdeck.twitter.com.

For facebook, the best advice I have really is to stop using it.
No really, users need to have their own bookmarks, own browsing session with saved tabs, cookie jar, and be able to open a profile by select the profile name from a drop down menu.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
No really, users need to have their own bookmarks, own browsing session with saved tabs, cookie jar

That isn't at all what you described earlier. You said you wanted to login to social media sites with different concurrent accounts.

be able to open a profile by select the profile name from a drop down menu

They can. it's called Fast User Switching and it lives in the menu bar:
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 13.15.14.png

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
That isn't at all what you described earlier. You said you wanted to login to social media sites with different concurrent accounts.

They can. it's called Fast User Switching and it lives in the menu bar: View attachment 849785
That switches you to another OS user account , so you lose access to all of your apps while browsing. The functionality would need to be in 100% in the browser.

jamietshaw

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
UK
So in conclusion from all the above: no, Safari does not have a feature to switch between profiles other than to have different user accounts on your Mac, which of course affects all your applications. I think you’ll need to stick with Chrome.

Reactions: jagooch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.