Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigbysTypingHand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
I'm on the fence between an iPhone 8 (non-plus) and an iPhone X. Biggest decision point is having the best camera. Don't care about the other features of the X. If I intend to mostly take zoomed-out/wide-angle shots in normal photo mode (not in portrait mode or with portrait lighting), would the extra camera in the X help me at all?

The 8 and X seem to share the same wide-angle camera. I'm curious if the telephoto camera in the X would help at all with mostly taking pictures of my kids indoors or outside in low light, etc. Probably at wide angle/not zoomed in and probably not using the special X photo features (portrait mode and portrait lighting). The telephoto has a slower aperture so I can't imagine it helps, but it is zoomed in (so has a closer look at detail) and adds additional data anyway so maybe it does?

Thanks.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The X will have a slightly better camera, but overall I feel like the difference will be negligible. If you take specs into consideration, the X will be better.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I’m pretty sure it’s gojng to be better. I read somewhere that the telephoto on the X also has OIS (8+ doesn’t have it) which should help a lot.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Short answer is yes. The telephoto lens on the X will be better. It’s has a 2.4 aperture vs 2.8 and it also includes OIS (optical image stabilization)

It will let in more light and reduce movement such as hand shake.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
yes, but not by THAT much. I never understood why and when the average consumer became so preoccupied with having the best camera available. I don't take pictures that often, but to me as long as its clear, that's all that matters; and they've been pretty clear on iphones since the 5.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Primary camera performance from the specs won't differ
The "telephoto" 2x lens/camera on 8+ and X has F2.8 vs F2.4 lens. So the telephoto lens may/should perform somewhat better on the X at low light. Does not mean it will perform better in all conditions.

F1.8 ip8,ip8+,X all with optical image stabilization
F2.8 8+ no ois, F2.4 X with optical image stabilization.

The only time both lenses are used to record a picture image is in portrait mode.

I have a hard time calling the telephoto lens telephoto. It is really in the normal range, not telephoto. Closer to what a standard 35mm film camera with a 50mm lens. (28mm vs 56mm)

Reactions: profets

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
yes, but not by THAT much. I never understood why and when the average consumer became so preoccupied with having the best camera available. I don't take pictures that often, but to me as long as its clear, that's all that matters; and they've been pretty clear on iphones since the 5.

I matters because it effects low light performance. What you’re eyes precieve as ok light (such as indoors), to a camera it’s lownlight.
[doublepost=1508882243][/doublepost]
I have a hard time calling the telephoto lens telephoto. It is really in the normal range, not telephoto. Closer to what a standard 35mm film camera with a 50mm lens. (28mm vs 56mm)

Pretty sure you need to account for crop factor. Making it actually behave like something in the 85mm range for field of view. Which in turn is a telephoto

Reactions: bchreng

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Pretty sure you need to account for crop factor. Making it actually behave like something in the 85mm range for field of view. Which in turn is a telephoto

That is accounting for the crop factor. It is quoted as a 35mm camera equivalent as is standard throughout the camera world for all non-dslr cameras.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

You have no clue what you’re talking about, what may seem as “clear” to you might actually be a terribly taken photo but I wouldn’t expect you to know as you don’t seem to take many photos with your iPhone as you just mentioned above. With that being said, the camera in the iPhone is a major feature and a big deal for me as well as to many others who shoot photos daily both professionaly and for personal use and every improvement that is made to the camera module such as the improvements Apple made to the Camera in the iPhone X will yield to better quality photos.

OIS in the telephoto lens is a big deal all by itself quite frankly.

Reactions: bchreng

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
That is accounting for the crop factor. It is quoted as a 35mm camera equivalent as is standard throughout the camera world for all non-dslr cameras.

I know that 35mm is “standard the camera world”. I’m a professional photographer and work in a camera shop.

Most (if not all) do not label their focal lengths to accommodate for crop factor.

For example a Canon EF-S 10-22mm is for their apps-c sensor. Labeled as 10-22 but is the equivalent to a 16-35mm full frame lens. This isn’t exclusive to Canon, it’s every manufacturer.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
I know that 35mm is “standard the camera world”. I’m a professional photographer and work in a camera shop.

Most (if not all) do not label their focal lengths to accommodate for crop factor.

For example a Canon EF-S 10-22mm is for their apps-c sensor. Labeled as 10-22 but is the equivalent to a 16-35mm full frame lens. This isn’t exclusive to Canon, it’s every manufacturer.

Iphone 8 has a focal length of 3.99mm

DSLR camera lenses are a non-sequetor. The camera on a cell phone is a POINT AND SHOOT. It is not an interchangeable lens camera. The quotes focal lengths are relative to a 35mm film camera which is the standard.

The published specs are for the camera sensor and lens combination. As they are not interchangeable.

Good example Canon Powershot D30 point and shoot
Focal Length
5.0 (W) - 25.0 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 28-140mm)
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-d30
Sensor
12.1 Megapixel, 1/2.3-inch CMOS

Iphone 8
DXO data show identical focal length than iPhone 7 (3,99mm).
And FoV is the same too.
So 1/3" sensor size.

I want to see some of your shots when you mount the 10-20 lens to iphone ).

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Two stops is the difference between getting the shot and not getting the shot in many scenarios. This isn't like CPU speed upgrade options on a MacBook Pro where they all are very indistinguishably close in performance, it's very noticeable especially with the OIS on top of it all. The telephoto camera on the 8 Plus is very similar to the 7 Plus (2.8 aperture, no OIS, same sensor size and resolution as previously).

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
Sorry for the dumb question but when is the telephoto lens used. Is this simply a zoom lens?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.