Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycoperl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I recently purchased the new iPad Pro 12.9 with the Apple Pencil and "Magic Keyboard" case. I am noticing a few things:

1. I am unable to really change the angle that the iPad is displayed at, which may be an issue when I try to use it while standing at a counter and sitting at a desk.
  2. While in the case it is basically impossible to use hand held (say while on a bus/train or while doing a walking meeting and taking notes) With my 1st generation iPad Pro 12.9 the keyboard folded to the back and got out of the way so that I could use it with just my hand and optionally with the pencil
  3. Also while in the case, the tablet cannot lay flat so that you can do hand writing/signature or drawing/markup
I am wondering if I got myself a defective case... especially for a $329 item.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
1) Angle of the Magic Keyboard is fixed to one angle. It cannot be adjusted.

2) The Magic Keyboard is meant to be used attached to the iPad in landscape mode. I suggest you get an Apple Smart Case to use when you need to hold the iPad and write notes etc.

3) The iPad is not meant to be used laying flat inside the Magic Keyboard so that you can write on it. You need to get an Apple Smart Case.

I have both cases and when I need to type or view my iPad on the desk, I use the Magic Keyboard. When I need to be mobile at work or elsewhere, and hold the iPad in my hands, I use the Apple Smart Case.

You don't have a defective Magic Keyboard. The problem is trying to use it in ways not intended. The Magic Keyboard helps to make the iPad a MacBook replacement (in many ways).

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I found I needed a folio in addition to the Magic Keyboard. I got this one, which I found superior to Apple’s (that I returned). It doesn’t pick up fingerprints or smudges and has protection for the pencil.

Reactions: Vinceh99

psycoperl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I guess the problem I have is that it is called a case and costs $300+ doesn’t offer the basic features that a $100 case does. Now I need to get a second case. This is starting to cost more than a basic macbook laptop.

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

psycoperl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I found I needed a folio in addition to the Magic Keyboard. I got this one, which I found superior to Apple’s (that I returned). It doesn’t pick up fingerprints or smudges and has protection for the pencil.

Does this case cover the pencil or is it just hanging on the side ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I guess the problem I have is that it is called a case and costs $300+ doesn’t offer the basic features that a $100 case does. Now I need to get a second case. This is starting to cost more than a basic macbook laptop.
With the Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil, and Apple Smart Case, you are basically paying the same price as a mid tier M1 MBA or base M1 MBP.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
iPad Pro plus keyboard were never meant to be cheaper than a MacBook Air or Pro. They have completely different usage

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I recently purchased the new iPad Pro 12.9 with the Apple Pencil and "Magic Keyboard" case. I am noticing a few things:

1. I am unable to really change the angle that the iPad is displayed at, which may be an issue when I try to use it while standing at a counter and sitting at a desk.
  2. While in the case it is basically impossible to use hand held (say while on a bus/train or while doing a walking meeting and taking notes) With my 1st generation iPad Pro 12.9 the keyboard folded to the back and got out of the way so that I could use it with just my hand and optionally with the pencil
  3. Also while in the case, the tablet cannot lay flat so that you can do hand writing/signature or drawing/markup
I am wondering if I got myself a defective case... especially for a $329 item.
Check out the Logitech Combo for the 2021 iPP. It seems able to address your concerns with the MK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.