Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotzaiPhone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Like the title says, is OS X 10.5 compatible with the A590-IS? On Cannon's site, it does not specifically say, but I was wondering if anyone here has that camera and could tell me either yes or no, that it works. Now I know that I could but a card reader and go that route, but for my wife's sake, it would be easier to plug in the camera to my macbook and do it that way. Any help, ideas or answers would be great, thanks!

And P.S., I did search, but didn't find anything ;)

Bodine

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
I have the power shot SD800 IS and it works fine with leopard. I have 10.5.5 on my iMac. When I plug the camera into a USB port iPhoto automatically opens and asks me if I want to import the photos. I have not had a problem.

I did find this on the canon website in the FAQ for the A590-IS (Sorry the link would not paste in correctly).

Issue: What driver do I need to install my camera on Windows XP or Mac OS 10.1 and up?
Solution: This camera supports PTP no driver is required

This camera supports the PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) standard. Driver files for cameras/camcorders that support PTP are supplied by both the Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Mac OS 10.1 and up operating systems thus allowing true "plug and play" operation.
Simply connecting the camera to the computers USB port and turning the camera on in playback mode will cause the computer to automatically find the device and install the necessary driver supplied by the operating system. No Canon provided driver is necessary.

gotzaiPhone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I have the power shot SD800 IS and it works fine with leopard. I have 10.5.5 on my iMac. When I plug the camera into a USB port iPhoto automatically opens and asks me if I want to import the photos. I have not had a problem.

I did find this on the canon website in the FAQ for the A590-IS (Sorry the link would not paste in correctly).

Issue: What driver do I need to install my camera on Windows XP or Mac OS 10.1 and up?

This camera supports the PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) standard. Driver files for cameras/camcorders that support PTP are supplied by both the Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Mac OS 10.1 and up operating systems thus allowing true "plug and play" operation.
Simply connecting the camera to the computers USB port and turning the camera on in playback mode will cause the computer to automatically find the device and install the necessary driver supplied by the operating system. No Canon provided driver is necessary.

Great info, thanks!

schwei56

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2008
It's iPhoto Savvy

Hi, all. we just got this for Christmas :D, and I'm getting acquainted with the 590 connecting it to a new MacBook (Leopard 10.5.5).

iPhoto recognizes the PowerShot on plug-in as Bodine said. Note that only one logged-in user can access the camera at a time—after switching users, you'll need to unplug and replug USB. In this way, you effectively create backups by downloading from the camera twice if you wish, before deleting the originals from the memory card.

iPhoto is probably much better to use than the Canon software, but I really won't bother to find out if that's actually true. One thing that iPhoto is great at is knowing you took more pictures on the same memory card. It'll download only the freshly added bunch.

I got my previous digital camera a long while ago, so I'm practically new to it, so for fellow newbies, invest in AA batteries, or rechargeables, or hybrids. This camera is an "electron-guzzler". You'll also want to pick up a much larger memory card than what is supplied right away, and of course, consider investing in eye-fi. Very very :cool:

bassment

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
Video Import Problems

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole video importing/ editing thing on my mac. I have a Powershot A590 IS, and I recently took a video that was about half an hour long, and takes up about one gig on my memory card. I have an iBook G4, and I've had no problems using both iPhoto and image capture to import pictures and a couple of smaller movies, but I can't get that one gig file to import!! iPhoto just ignores it and doesn't import, and every time I try to use image capture, the bar immediately fills up and it just sort of stalls out. Am I doing something wrong, or is there some other software that I need to use for the larger file? BTW, the files come out of the camera as AVI files. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.