Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Does the new M1 iMac have built-in HDR 10-bit display/panel? I read that the M1 Apple Silicon supports HDR 10-bit output with at least macOS Catalina installed, but I can't find any specifications that explicitly say that the new M1 iMac built-in display/panel is a true HDR 10-bit one. I read on the forums that the older iMacs' display are not true 10-bit, but 8-bit + FRC.

Also, I can't find any other specs about the M1 iMac's display such as contrast ratio, peak brightness. The Apple Pro Display XDR is said to have up to 1600 nits of brightness and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. Other Apple devices like the MacBook Pro 16" and iPhone 12 are known to have 500 nits brightness and over 1000:1 contrast ratio.

Anyone gotten their M1 iMac and managed to do testing on the display for brightness, contrast ratio, and/or other specifications?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Nope. Even the panel on the new 12.9 iPad is 8 bit. The M1 can support HDR in it has a wider color gamut but it cannot support it in terms of peak brightness etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

ranjan2001

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2021
Does the new M1 iMac have built-in HDR 10-bit display/panel? I read that the M1 Apple Silicon supports HDR 10-bit output with at least macOS Catalina installed, but I can't find any specifications that explicitly say that the new M1 iMac built-in display/panel is a true HDR 10-bit one. I read on the forums that the older iMacs' display are not true 10-bit, but 8-bit + FRC.

Also, I can't find any other specs about the M1 iMac's display such as contrast ratio, peak brightness. The Apple Pro Display XDR is said to have up to 1600 nits of brightness and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. Other Apple devices like the MacBook Pro 16" and iPhone 12 are known to have 500 nits brightness and over 1000:1 contrast ratio.

Anyone gotten their M1 iMac and managed to do testing on the display for brightness, contrast ratio, and/or other specifications?
He says yes it does support 10 bit per channel with external monitor with mac mini so I guess it does with iMac too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.