Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I'm upgrading shortly to a new iPhone - from a 6s to a 7+. I love the Jet Black, but the fingerprint/gloss/scratch stories worry me to no end.

The Red is my #2 choice, but before I pull the trigger I have to ask: All you Red iPhone 7 Owners, does it scratch easily, and if so as easily as the Jet Black? Or is it just as durable as the Matte/Silver?

I'll have it in a case all the time, but do occasionally take it out for a day or two just to enjoy it plain. I'd just like to know if the Red will scratch easily or the finish will wear off from perpetual case contact.

Thank you guys so much ahead of time! :)

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
I have both red and jet black. I have both in clear back case so My both phones have not had any scratches. However, based on the material used to manufacture the phones, jet black is more scratch prones than red as red back phone is not glossed.

My recommendation is to get red phone. It is the most beautiful color iphone ever made. My red phone is always attention getter as red is eye catching color. My red phone always get compliments whenever someone looks at it. If you buy a case for it, make sure it has a clear back to show off the most gorgeous red color.

Reactions: Melrose

Melrose

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I have both red and jet black. I have both in clear back case so My both phones have not had any scratches. However, based on the material used to manufacture the phones, jet black is more scratch prones than red as red back phone is not glossed.

My recommendation is to get red phone. It is the most beautiful color iphone ever made. My red phone is always attention getter as red is eye catching color. My red phone always get compliments whenever someone looks at it. If you buy a case for it, make sure it has a clear back to show off the most gorgeous red color.

Thanks! Does it still require a bit more care than the regular ("boring") colors, do you know? I'm fastidious with my phones but still want a phone that's going to hold it's value. :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks! Does it still require a bit more care than the regular ("boring") colors, do you know? I'm fastidious with my phones but still want a phone that's going to hold it's value. :)

The red is an anodized finish and will scratch like the other. Scratches will show a silver/aluminum color underneath.

It is just a durable as the other anodized finishes and will hold up pretty well if you are careful.

Melrose

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Quick question: I have an opportunity to pick up a Jet Black one for $620, free shipping, all clean, new accessories, pristine condition, <2 months old. Worth the risk if I case it right away, or do they still tend to get marks around the speaker/cable/button cutouts?

It only got offered to me an hour ago.

Last edited:

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
My red iPhone 7+ chipped a tiny bit with sand stuck in the case. It's more noticeable than when my gold iPhone 6 had the same happen. Because of the red.

Reactions: Sunny1990

fartnugget213

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2017
Quick question: I have an opportunity to pick up a Jet Black one for $620, free shipping, all clean, new accessories, pristine condition, <2 months old. Worth the risk if I case it right away, or do they still tend to get marks around the speaker/cable/button cutouts?

It only got offered to me an hour ago.

I've seen a ton of Jet Black issues persist, from scratching and chipping, and just yesterday someone posted a Jet Black phone that was producing smoke.

Of course this is anecdotal, and it's a small sample size, but it's really your call in the end. Risk is relative.

I personally own a 7+ Red, no chipping or scratching. I used it for 4 days without a case and no issue, the rest of the time it's been with a case.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I'm upgrading shortly to a new iPhone - from a 6s to a 7+. I love the Jet Black, but the fingerprint/gloss/scratch stories worry me to no end.

The Red is my #2 choice, but before I pull the trigger I have to ask: All you Red iPhone 7 Owners, does it scratch easily, and if so as easily as the Jet Black? Or is it just as durable as the Matte/Silver?

I'll have it in a case all the time, but do occasionally take it out for a day or two just to enjoy it plain. I'd just like to know if the Red will scratch easily or the finish will wear off from perpetual case contact.

Nothing like jet black

Source: family has both product red and Jet black

Not as durable as silver (that will be best, most durable of any iPhone colour as it is natural aluminum) but I'd say on par with matte black maybe a tiny bit more durable

(My personal preference is jet black btw i don't mind scratches I rather enjoy the worn appearance I get from all my phones...so I'm being as objective about product red as I can...It seems very durable)

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I recently re-purchased an iPhone 7 (T-Mobile paid off my Jet Black iPhone 7, but I tried Virgin Mobile and had to purchase a new one). Jet Black looks great, and the scratches aren't *that* bad (I didn't use a case, and had never dropped or anything) but it's frustrating that even in taking good care of your phone, you're guaranteed damage of some kind.

I looked at Red, but went with Silver. For me, Red was a little too... gaudy? Maybe I'm just not a flashy-enough person, but it would feel weird to me to go into a meeting a put a bright red phone on the table. Just my $0.02.

Melrose

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I'm over an hour from the nearest Apple store. I've seen enough pictures to know I'd be more than happy with the red. The black...I like it but the constant worry would be a problem.

No, that satin candy apple crimson isn't gaudy. :)

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The red iPhone will hold up no better than the matte black iPhone. They are both anodized aluminum, therefore both will scratch just as easily as the other. I think it's fair to say no extra care needs to be taken with one color vs the other.

andigr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2019

I purchased a red iPhone XR 10 days ago. I noticed a chip on the top 3 days ago, probably bumped up against my keys in a pocket. Sigh. I bought a clear case the next day.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68030
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I purchased a red iPhone XR 10 days ago. I noticed a chip on the top 3 days ago, probably bumped up against my keys in a pocket. Sigh. I bought a clear case the next day.
Replying to a 2 year old thread and on top of that, the OP has been suspended. Gotta love the newbies. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.