Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YellowFever1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Raleigh
I want to get a new phone(iPhone) and was wondering if uTorrent or iTransmission work on it?? I am trying to download movies on it. UTorrent and iTransmission are bitTorrent clients that help you download shared files for those who don't know.

I can download movies on my current phone LG Stylo 2 but it only has 16gb internal memory.

Thanks for everyone's help.

jasjeet

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
Very candid lol. You know that’s illegal?
No, you can’t get a native app on iOS to torrent.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I want to get a new phone(iPhone) and was wondering if uTorrent or iTransmission work on it?? I am trying to download movies on it. UTorrent and iTransmission are bitTorrent clients that help you download shared files for those who don't know.

I can download movies on my current phone LG Stylo 2 but it only has 16gb internal memory.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Using iTransmission requires a jailbroken phone. If you buy a new iPhone, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to jailbreak it.

Reactions: akash.nu

swanseaboy

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Swansea, Wales
I use utorrent and then via the web client remote.utorrent.com

Works a treat for me

[edit] I can see that you want to do something completely different

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
His info says Raleigh. I'm guessing that's North Carolina. His writing style indicates American English.

I'm gonna say that it's against the law in the OP's area.
Downloading using torrent is not, but the content determines what he is doing is illegal or not, I think.

For OP, there was no torrent app on app store before, no such app now, and probably never have one in the future.

Reactions: old-wiz

YellowFever1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Raleigh
Downloading using torrent is not, but the content determines what he is doing is illegal or not, I think.

For OP, there was no torrent app on app store before, no such app now, and probably never have one in the future.

Thanks for the info. I will probably just go to Boost Mobile trade in my phone for a 32gb (minimum) model that is Android since i know i can do what i am doing already. I thought iTransmission would let me download movies etc.but i am seeing you guys are telling me it won't work. Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

Ross1998 says i can with iTransmission. I will probably stick with Android as i can upgrade my SD card. I know you can't upgrade iPhones. Sad since i like apple products so much.

As for the legality of it. Well Netflix doesn't have the foreign, indie and classic films i want so....

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

You're right. Torrents arent illegal. However, the OP said he wanted to download movies, and pretty much all movies download from torrents are copyrighted.

Its a pretty good bet that the type of movies the OP is interested in would fall into that category.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If you want to use torrents and download movies for free you are better off sticking to android. On the whole ios is built for people who pay for content from official sources. It’ll be much easier to do that on android and you won’t need to jump through as many if any hoops.

Reactions: hobsgrg

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
You're right, it is the content being downloaded that makes it illegal. What is the penalty for downloading torrents?
If I were a betting man, which I am, I would say that it has to do with not being able to access the device folders on iOS like you can on Android.
As for the legality of it. Well Netflix doesn't have the foreign, indie and classic films i want so....
I don't judge, I have a wife and two kids and still download torrents. It is no different than borrowing a BLU-RAY from my neighbor and copying it or saving it to my Mac using software.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What is the penalty for downloading torrents?
It highly depends on the country you resides and local regulations. In Australia, AFAIK, the criminal charge of copyright infringements could go up to $100k AUD.
The tricky part is unless copyright holder claims, government usually don't care much about this type of thing. But if they do, especially by big players, anyone could go bankruptcy after the charge.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
It highly depends on the country you resides and local regulations. In Australia, AFAIK, the criminal charge of copyright infringements could go up to $100k AUD.
The tricky part is unless copyright holder claims, government usually don't care much about this type of thing. But if they do, especially by big players, anyone could go bankruptcy after the charge.
Thanks, I didn't know the charges could go up to $100k AUD.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.