Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuantumDot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Hi!
I'm addicted to the HDR YouTube videos which I've been staring at for the last couple days on my M1 Max MacBook Pro. The videos look gorgeous. But is the HDR limited to just videos? Surely there must be images that are HDR which I could view on my MacBook. But a quick google search of 'HDR Pictures' doesn't really yield anything as amazing as the videos on YouTube.

What else can I do with HDR? Can I make my desktop background an HDR image?
Can I change the cursor to be a super-bright HDR arrow? How about drawing HDR vector graphics on Affinity Designer?
Or, making a Keynote Presentation with HDR-colored text, or HDR-gradient backgrounds/animations?

Looking forward to some answers!

QuantumDot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Hmm, perhaps that’s ALL you can do with the MacBook’s new display. No way to use it to create HDR content

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Photos taken with iPhones in HEIF/HEIC format will display in HDR. Aside from that I'm not aware of anything else that you can view or create in HDR besides video.

QuantumDot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Oh thanks. I just tried this with my iPhone X set to take pictures in HDR and save them in HEIC format. But viewing them on my macbook pro (using Preview and Photos) just displays it in SDR. How do I enable this on my machine? Thanks!

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
There is an option in Photos preferences for "View Full HDR" - make sure that is enabled. Also, do you use iCloud Photos? I know Photo stream does NOT sync HDR versions, but iCloud Photos does. Not sure about other transfer options.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 3.36.17 PM.png

Reactions: uuaschbaer

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
I don't have this option.
I thought I didn't either until I realized I had the "iCloud" tab of the preferences pane selected, so go back in and click the "General" button at the top to see if it helps. Not a big fan of Apple's flat UI design obsession of past several years, they've gone so far overboard flattening and de-contrasting things that they're often visually confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.