Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejwjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
Hello,

Very disappointed that the latest Apple developments with respect to Dolby Atmos cannot be used on my Mac Mini…

I have been using the Mini as it suits our family needs perfectly as we tend to move Between a two homes so my wife and i have one each…BUT… for the first time i am disappointed in that Dolby Atmos is not available on the Mini and i was wondering if anyone out there has identified an alert native solution???

Of Course we could buy different Mac systems but then we will have other issues to resolve when we move between our homes…..

Thanks

JohnW

ejwjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
What you mean the tiny speaker inside the Mac mini ? 🤣
Sorry not sure about any tiny speaker…. I am referring to the recent developments to enhance the sound on MAC systems through the use of Dolby Atmos and Spatial Sound……

Which appears to be available on all other parts of the MAC platofrm except the Mini.

JohnW

magicMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Sorry not sure about any tiny speaker…. I am referring to the recent developments to enhance the sound on MAC systems through the use of Dolby Atmos and Spatial Sound……

Which appears to be available on all other parts of the MAC platofrm except the Mini.

JohnW

Are you sure if you pair AirPods Pro you can’t listen to Dolby Atmos on Music app on Mac mini ? I get the option on mine …

But I don’t have AirPods or care much for Dolby Atmos when it comes to music.

The inbuilt speaker is tiny and not necessarily in front the user - wouldn’t expect Atmos quality sound from it.

Last edited:

ejwjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
I have Air Pods Pro and they are fantastic on the iPhone and the iPad using Dolby Atmos and spatial sound…… well i like it.

If i pair my AirPods up with the Mini they seem to work in basic configuration only… the Dolby Atmos setting is still not available on the Music > Preferences> Playback page and without Dolby Atmos Spatial sound does not work i believe….

Thanks
JohnW

shaun.au

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, Aus
Lack of Atmos support on the Mini (and all current Macs!) seems like a terrible oversight.

If I want to play a video with Atmos via HDMI, I need to buy an ATV rather than using the much more powerful (and expensive!) M1 Mini!

I’ve been running Mac Mini’s as media centres since the Core2Duo was released, maybe it’s time to move back to PC! (*shudder*)

Lsd01

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
California
Lack of Atmos support on the Mini (and all current Macs!) seems like a terrible oversight.

If I want to play a video with Atmos via HDMI, I need to buy an ATV rather than using the much more powerful (and expensive!) M1 Mini!

I’ve been running Mac Mini’s as media centres since the Core2Duo was released, maybe it’s time to move back to PC! (*shudder*)
Its ridiculous. I have been using Mac Minis since 2007. Now I have the most up to date system and I have to use an ATV. Nah the ATV is buggy with Atmos and does not stream everything. I am going to install a (gulp) firestick for $25 and then I can get Plex too. All because these clowns at Apple hate movies and Projectors and losing control to an AVR that plays Atmos and is connected to Atmos speakers nots some 1/2 baked spatial audio. Apple why can't you pass through the Atmos to my receiver. So whatever I stream be it Apple TV+, Disney Plus, Hulu, HBO max, Showtime etc will play through a Safari browser or an edge browser and deliver me Dolby Atmos. I have a Tivo that delivers Netflix but its so buggy I have to restart the box every time. Why do I say they hate projectors. I had to get an independent software company modify the display resolutions so I can have 4k and a 16 x9 screen not the 17 x 9 screen apple supplies. LAME!

AlliePallie

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
Hello,

Very disappointed that the latest Apple developments with respect to Dolby Atmos cannot be used on my Mac Mini…

I have been using the Mini as it suits our family needs perfectly as we tend to move Between a two homes so my wife and i have one each…BUT… for the first time i am disappointed in that Dolby Atmos is not available on the Mini and i was wondering if anyone out there has identified an alert native solution???

Of Course we could buy different Mac systems but then we will have other issues to resolve when we move between our homes…..

Thanks

JohnW
Nonsense!
Dolby Atmos is supported on my 2020 Mini. In Apple Music, go to Settings/Playback at the bottom of the window. Not using Apple Music, good luck.

Reactions: Kenny99

Lsd01

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
California
If you read this thread we’re not talking about spatial audio we are talking about an AVR solution for streaming services. Can you play Netflix with Dolby Atmos?
Didn’t think so

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I’m confused. If you use the Mac mini just for downloading the files, storing it and then the mini is connected to an amplifier, it will play it in Atmos, correct?

Given the file has Atmos soundtrack & your amplifier has Atmos compatibility.

Lsd01

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
California
I’m confused. If you use the Mac mini just for downloading the files, storing it and then the mini is connected to an amplifier, it will play it in Atmos, correct?

Given the file has Atmos soundtrack & your amplifier has Atmos compatibility.
No it will not. MacOS will not offer a passthrough or will not render Dolby Atmos. Dolby has not ported its software for use with the M1 chip. So the solution is to use a third party device instead of it being handled by that expensive bit of hardware that you have purchased. I have been doing your model since 2007 and now as I have updated everything I find that the ability to play current titles including Apple TV+ titles with the latest Dolby video and sound is not happening.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I see, I was not aware that it was a hardware limitation. Yes, expect buying a third party device, I don’t see what else you can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.