Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Hey, so after the update to iPad OS14.6 and above I found out that I have the option to turn on Dolby Atmos in the music settings. However on the official support page for the devices that have Atmos I couldn't find anything about iPad Air 2. But I have it in settings. So does that mean that it is supported and the music that is Dolby Atmos made or supported will play in Atmos? And does that mean my iPad Air 2 has indeed support for Atmos?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

That article seems pretty straightforward to me.

As I read things - any device that is capable of installing iOS/iPadOS 14.6 can play Atmos.

Next in that article come specifics for the available settings for Atmos: Automatic, Always On, and Turn Dolby Atmos Off:

For Automatic... your iPad is not on the list, but if you use any of the headphones on the list, it will work.

For Always On... the text mentions only "if you want to use other headphones..." There's no mention of whether the speakers in iPhones or iPads will play it satisfactorily.

So, it's time to experiment (you know how to experiment, right?)...

I have a a first-generation iPad Pro 12.9". It is not on the list for Automatic.

I enabled "Always On" - I got a popup notification:

Not Supported on All Speakers Supported songs will now play in Dolby Atmos instead of stereo versions. Connect to headphones or Dolby Atmos supported speakers for the best experience. Change this at any time in Settings.

I then went to the Music app, located the Made for Spatial Audio playlist, which starts with a demo presented by Zane Lowe.

There is a perceptible difference on that first-generation iPad Pro's speakers between standard stereo and Atmos. There is a more noticeable difference when listening on my first-generation AirPods, which is not surprising since by their nature headphones always emphasize stereo effects.

So have at it. Nothing will break, melt, or explode. You'll either notice the effect or not, you'll either like it or not.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Adobe Atmos requires certain specs with the speakers, and I doubt the iPad 2 meets the speaker spec requirements. But as mentioned by another, use headphones or AirPods Pros and you should be able enjoy it via the iPad 2. I use headphones with my iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, and ATV 4K 2017 and can enjoy Dolby Atmos via Apple Music.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014

That article seems pretty straightforward to me.

As I read things - any device that is capable of installing iOS/iPadOS 14.6 can play Atmos.

Next in that article come specifics for the available settings for Atmos: Automatic, Always On, and Turn Dolby Atmos Off:

For Automatic... your iPad is not on the list, but if you use any of the headphones on the list, it will work.

For Always On... the text mentions only "if you want to use other headphones..." There's no mention of whether the speakers in iPhones or iPads will play it satisfactorily.

So, it's time to experiment (you know how to experiment, right?)...

I have a a first-generation iPad Pro 12.9". It is not on the list for Automatic.

I enabled "Always On" - I got a popup notification:

I then went to the Music app, located the Made for Spatial Audio playlist, which starts with a demo presented by Zane Lowe.

There is a perceptible difference on that first-generation iPad Pro's speakers between standard stereo and Atmos. There is a more noticeable difference when listening on my first-generation AirPods, which is not surprising since by their nature headphones always emphasize stereo effects.

So have at it. Nothing will break, melt, or explode. You'll either notice the effect or not, you'll either like it or not.
Yeah sure,I mean it probably does support it if I play it with headphones so I am gonna give it a try

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.