Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all,
I have always loved taking photos (just ask my external drive ;) ) and have gotten pretty good with my little Kodak easyshare point and shoot camera. This holiday season I have decided to step it up and to find a nice camera to take my hobby to the next level. I have been doing research on these threads, and on the internet in general, but am not sure what would be a good "beginners" camera... What would be your recommendations?

I have a fair amount of money to blow on something, but I know I don't need anything outrageous, just something to start playing around with manual settings instead of just having to live with what my current camera can give me.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Just a quick edit: Right now I am leaning towards the Nikon D40, good choice?

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The two most common Entry dSLRs would be the Nikon D40, and the Rebel XTi. Honestly, they are both great cameras, and the best way to choose it to go to the store, pick them up, and see how it fits in your hand. Try out the menu system, and review button placement. Picking a body is quite easy, it's choosing the right lens that is hard. Also note, certain brands will have specific lenses. I will be getting the Rebel XTi later this week, as I already have a few lenses to fit the Canon, I also liked the dust-removal system the XTi had implimented, and chose to pair it with the new Canon lens, the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I like the idea of IS (Image Stabilizaton) mainly because it allows better shots to be taken at night (or in any low light situation). There are many Nikon users here which can inform you of the D40 better than I. But, as I said, the best way to choose is to actually handle one.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
...it's choosing the right lens that is hard...

Can you speak to the lens that comes with the D40x kit, or can anyone else? I'm not really sure what to thing of the one they have in the kit (AF-S DX 18-55mm Lens). I have been reading all I can find online, and I am starting to get the idea, but is this a good 'general purpose' lens to start learning with?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Can you speak to the lens that comes with the D40x kit, or can anyone else? I'm not really sure what to thing of the one they have in the kit (AF-S DX 18-55mm Lens). I have been reading all I can find online, and I am starting to get the idea, but is this a good 'general purpose' lens to start learning with?

It's a perfectly fine lens to start out with.

Depending on how much you want to spend, a better lens would be the 18-70mm (which costs $200 more than the 18-55).

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Beginner cameras: d40, d40x, rebel xt, xti, samsung gx-1l, samsung gx-1l(not many have heard of this camera, its very similiar to pentax's *ist digital SLR, and the K110D but for a little less), pentax k110d, pentax k100d and k100d super, olympus evolt.

Personally they are all great cameras. Except the olympus, I greatly dislike olymus DSLRs. I use the samsung GX-1S, its a great camera. I got it mostly for its size, it is very light and portable. Takes great photos, decent battery life.
I would chose the D40X over the D40 because it has more features, and is worth the extra coin. I personally dont like Canons XT, I dont have much experience with the XTI though. I find it kind of bulky, and ugly, and am not a fan of their interface.

Personally, I think the pentax K100D super is a great camera, worth every penny. But just FYI I hear from this board that there is going to be a revision soon on their DSLR's.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Actually, unlike the previous poster, I would suggest that you look at the Rebel XT (350D), which is the Canon competitor to the D40. Both Canon and Nikon make excellent cameras and lens systems. You may also look into Pentax and Olympus, but their selection of glass is a little more limited.

I would agree with marioman38 that you should handle the two cameras, get a feel for which feels better, and go for that one. You may also want to consider getting a 50 mm f/1.8 lens for either Canon or Nikon for just under $100. The quality per price ratio is phenomenal.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Great, thanks so much for all the replies, I am really excited about getting a little more serious about this. Thanks for your helpful suggestions!

Now, to find a camera store near me... :eek:

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I got the D40 because of the reasons others have. It is a fine camera, very nicely made and it works exceptionally well. I like it more every day, rather than getting annoyed at it.

The professional reviews indicate that the x version doesn't produce better results, so I saved $200. Others disagree, so I don't really know.

I believe you have no choice on the 18-55 kit lens. I couldn't find a body-only, but maybe a refurb would give you that choice. It is a fine lens, although VR would be better.

You indicate that you have a few extra bucks, so you would probably be happy with the 18-200 VR zoom as it covers almost everything without having to change it out all the time. After that you might like a Nikon or aftermart wide zoom. This is all very highly rated stuff.

I am not in the camp that believes that so-called pro lenses are worth the extra money, bulk and weight. You could rent one and see.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I got the D40 because of the reasons others have. It is a fine camera, very nicely made and it works exceptionally well. I like it more every day, rather than getting annoyed at it.

The professional reviews indicate that the x version doesn't produce better results, so I saved $200. Others disagree, so I don't really know.

I believe you have no choice on the 18-55 kit lens. I couldn't find a body-only, but maybe a refurb would give you that choice. It is a fine lens, although VR would be better.

You indicate that you have a few extra bucks, so you would probably be happy with the 18-200 VR zoom as it covers almost everything without having to change it out all the time. After that you might like a Nikon or aftermart wide zoom. This is all very highly rated stuff.

I am not in the camp that believes that so-called pro lenses are worth the extra money, bulk and weight. You could rent one and see.

It took some time, but I was able to find a body only D40x, but I will probably get the kit so I don't have to worry too much about choosing a good lens while I am still learning. I've been reading all this stuff online, but I am really more of a hands-on person, so I really just need to be able to learn to start with.

Also, what kind of place would you rent a lens from? I am from a really rural area, so stuff like this isn't very prevelant, however, I will be moving to LA in May, so I am sure I will be able to find places out there. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.