Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dksoutha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I need Win7 for old software. I have El Cap and Win7 on the MacBook 5,2's internal SSD and experience no problems after using Brigadier to download the drivers. I would like to use Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur instead of old El Cap, yet I don't know if a dosdude1 installation will make my Win7 inaccessible. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
there is a lot of useless bravado on these threads and this topic wont boost's one ego especially when El Cap is involved.
and not too many here will advice anyone with windows7- so dont feel ignored.

anyways.
that Mojave patch dosdude offers is easier to install on certain macbooks, like a macbook air 2010.
since Mojave is earlier than catalina you might have more luck using that for windows 7 due to 32bit stuff
the best way to see if this happens is to try to see if this happens.
Mojave is a great OSX and will work even with 4GB of RAM.
hoped this helped.

Reactions: dksoutha

dksoutha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks. I wonder if I can simply reformat the El Cap partition as APFS, and then install a newer OS without losing access to Win 7 via holding Option during boot. Alternatively, perhaps I need to erase everything, install a newer OS, use Disk Utility to create a partition for windows, and then boot from the Win 7 DVD to convert that partition to NTFS and reinstall Windows.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Thanks. I wonder if I can simply reformat the El Cap partition as APFS, and then install a newer OS without losing access to Win 7 via holding Option during boot. Alternatively, perhaps I need to erase everything, install a newer OS, use Disk Utility to create a partition for windows, and then boot from the Win 7 DVD to convert that partition to NTFS and reinstall Windows.
can you use virtual machine or bootcamp?
they are software developed for OSX that runs windows and their programs.
you can get a trial copy of one you like then purchase that, even in El Capitan.
there has to be more info on the "el capitan" thread here, which is another reason no one else is responding here.

Reactions: dksoutha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.