Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
A few days I downloaded the 30-day trial of Aperture 2 and I'm really enjoying it. I'm pretty sure I'll wind up purchasing it and using it instead of iPhoto. There's just so much more control and the workflow features are far superior.

What I'd like to know is, who here is using a combo of Aperture and Adobe Elements? I'm strongly considering Elements 6.0 when it comes out although it seems like from a post-production standpoint Aperture and Elements overlap a lot.

My intention would be to utilize Aperture for workflow and Elements for post-production. Any thoughts on this approach? Based on Elements 4 anyone know how well these two products can hand off images back and forth?

lanervoza

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
I've been demoing A2 as well, trying to get it to integrate nicely with photoshop CS3 (not sure how applicable this will be to elements, if at all...), and it's OK. There's a function/command to send to photoshop, but I haven't found an easy way to get the picture back into aperture, organized nicely, etc.

It's quite possible I'm missing something though, perhaps someone else can help us both out.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A few days I downloaded the 30-day trial of Aperture 2 and I'm really enjoying it. I'm pretty sure I'll wind up purchasing it and using it instead of iPhoto. There's just so much more control and the workflow features are far superior.

What I'd like to know is, who here is using a combo of Aperture and Adobe Elements? I'm strongly considering Elements 6.0 when it comes out although it seems like from a post-production standpoint Aperture and Elements overlap a lot.

My intention would be to utilize Aperture for workflow and Elements for post-production. Any thoughts on this approach? Based on Elements 4 anyone know how well these two products can hand off images back and forth?

Aperture has a way where you can specify which "external editor" to use. It's in "Preferences". Many people will use Photoshop CS3 for this but Elements has almost everything you might need. Aperture, by itself, is not much of an image editor. It lacks everything but the most basic tools. You do need both.

When yo send an image to Elements or Photoshop it comes back to Aperture when you do a "save". Aperture then treats it as what Aprture calls a "version".

iPhoto works the same way. You can specify an external editor the same way but iPhoto sees the edited image as replacing what was there before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.