Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcjohn24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2024
I forgot to backup my phone before upgrading to ios 18 beta 1. However, I have the iOS 17 downloaded on my macbook. If i backup my phone now and press restore using the iOS 17 i downloaded, will it accept the ios 18 backup or no? If no is there any way around this as my phone is crashing like crazy.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
A tough one, depending on your initial iPhone and iCloud setup and what you have done since iOS 18 installation.

1) Backing up your current bad iOS 18 installation makes no sense whatsoever;

2) If you updated to iOS 18 OTA, you could also try to do a fresh iOS 18 Beta IPSW install, which might just fix things up for you. This could be less time-consuming than the step 3) below.

3) If your iPhone data (messages, photos, contacts, app settings, etc.) were automatically saved to iCloud in iOS 17, you might be able to get it all back when you revert to iOS 17, but you would need to setup your device as new and arrange everything to your liking manually. A hassle, but well worth it to make it work well.

Good luck! 🖐️

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I forgot to backup my phone before upgrading to ios 18 beta 1. However, I have the iOS 17 downloaded on my macbook. If i backup my phone now and press restore using the iOS 17 i downloaded, will it accept the ios 18 backup or no? If no is there any way around this as my phone is crashing like crazy.
It will not accept the iOS 18 backup. You can only restore a backup from the current public release of the version you are on or earlier (i.e., when on iOS 17, you can only restore using an iOS 17 backup).

However, and i think this is the same thing @OneMore is saying; archive your iOS 18 backup before you restore to iOS 17. Then, if you do reinstall iOS 18, you should be able to restore using that. But you cannot use that backup to restore while on iOS 17.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What you are suggesting will not work. You will only be able to restore using a backup made prior to installing the iOS 18 beta.

Right now, I think the only way out would be to restore your phone back to iOS 17.5.1 using the following.

This will erase everything on your phone. Since you do not have a prior backup (not even an older one on iCloud?), it seems you will only be able to retrieve files previous saved to iCloud. For files that were stored offline, they are likely gone.

All the best.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Quick answer: No, iOS 17 won't read an iOS 18 backup.

If your phone is crashing then you're an outlier, and as mentioned above (option 2 from 'one more'), try reinstalling the beta. Hopefully that'll fix your issue!

dochinhol

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2024
I have the same problem as you but fortunately i found a solution that only requires a little modification the the local backup file so that ios 17 accept it.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Can you backup to iCloud in iOS 18. And restore in iOS 17. On paper this should be feasible even though I haven’t tested it yet.

dochinhol

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2024
Why would you share that and then not tell OP how to do it? Kind of a useless comment then.
Sorry for the late response, in the iOS 18 backup file (local backup made using apple devices for finder) you have a file called Info.plist, open it and use the find function to find "Product Version" and change the key below from 18.0 to 17.5.1 and then just erase and flash the stock ROM then use Finder or Apple devices to restore the backup. If you got stuck at the login to confirm on another device just restart ít :)

Reactions: MinEderPlayz

dochinhol

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2024
Sorry for the late response, in the iOS 18 backup file (local backup made using apple devices for finder) you have a file called Info.plist, open it and use the find function to find "Product Version" and change the key below from 18.0 to 17.5.1 and then just erase and flash the stock ROM then use Finder or Apple devices to restore the backup. If you got stuck at the login to confirm on another device just restart ít :)
For iOS 18 db1 it will work cuz I did it and it worked

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
General word of advice: don’t go messing with plist files unless you really know what you are doing.

We’ve spent a lot of time here the last few weeks telling people to make encrypted backups of their devices while still on iOS 17 and then archive those backups prior to installing the new betas.

While that’s still what I would counsel (and what I did myself), truth be told, it’s not really as necessary as it used to be because so much data is now stored in the cloud, as long as you have iCloud sync turned on for things line Messages, Mail etc.

I do have to add the important caveat that some things like call history and, possibly, activity ring data may be lost, which may be big deals. But most data will not be lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.