Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FairArrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Canada
Today I decided enough is enough. The 6s Plus is just too big. Sure, I can use the phone one handed, but it's just never comfortable and requires way too much effort. The real issue though is pocketability. I'm 5'6" and for the past 4 months there may as well have been a brick in my pants. I can't tie my shoe. I can't go up the stairs. I have to take it out of my pocket every time I get in the car. And trying to find a spot to place this giant phone on a crowded restaurant table is impossible. Every morning when I pull the phone off the dock and slide it in my pocket I just shake my head and know I'm gonna regret this at multiple times throughout the day.

So I picked up a used iPhone 5 today for $200 from a shop, got everything set up, and I fell in love. It's perfect. It fits in my hand perfectly (although I really do miss the curved, seamless design of the 6s Plus) and it does everything I need (with a bit of very noticeable lag here and there). Now I just feel stupid for adding so much unnecessary stress to my life.

When I think back to why I bought this monstrosity, it was the camera. Live Photos looked amazing and the 12MP camera with OIS seemed to be just the best thing ever. And then I realized I've got nothing to take pictures of. I don't have kids. I don't even have a dog. When I look at my photos, it's mostly just pictures I took to show off to my friends that I have a 6s Plus. Do I notice the decline in image quality with the iPhone 5? Yeah, it's a night and day difference. But I don't really care. It's fine.

Also, I love not having 3D Touch. After 4 months I still found myself always accidentally previewing things when I just wanted to open the darn thing.

So now I wait for the 5SE. No more bricks in my pants.

Reactions: Ladybug and catean

tvbi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
Wow, I'm also 5'6" and just got myself a brand new 5S after a year and a half with the 6 plus. Maybe I'll upgrade to the regular 7 later this year but I'm loving the 5S again so far.

Reactions: catean

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, there's also the regular 6/6s too, in-between the 5/5s and the 6/6s Plus.

Reactions: dontworry

Omgitslog

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
Today I decided enough is enough. The 6s Plus is just too big. Sure, I can use the phone one handed, but it's just never comfortable and requires way too much effort. The real issue though is pocketability. I'm 5'6" and for the past 4 months there may as well have been a brick in my pants. I can't tie my shoe. I can't go up the stairs. I have to take it out of my pocket every time I get in the car. And trying to find a spot to place this giant phone on a crowded restaurant table is impossible. Every morning when I pull the phone off the dock and slide it in my pocket I just shake my head and know I'm gonna regret this at multiple times throughout the day.

So I picked up a used iPhone 5 today for $200 from a shop, got everything set up, and I fell in love. It's perfect. It fits in my hand perfectly (although I really do miss the curved, seamless design of the 6s Plus) and it does everything I need (with a bit of very noticeable lag here and there). Now I just feel stupid for adding so much unnecessary stress to my life.

When I think back to why I bought this monstrosity, it was the camera. Live Photos looked amazing and the 12MP camera with OIS seemed to be just the best thing ever. And then I realized I've got nothing to take pictures of. I don't have kids. I don't even have a dog. When I look at my photos, it's mostly just pictures I took to show off to my friends that I have a 6s Plus. Do I notice the decline in image quality with the iPhone 5? Yeah, it's a night and day difference. But I don't really care. It's fine.

Also, I love not having 3D Touch. After 4 months I still found myself always accidentally previewing things when I just wanted to open the darn thing.

So now I wait for the 5SE. No more bricks in my pants.

I'm only 5'2, and the 6 plus seems fine for me.
I may switch to a 5SE when it comes out though.

Cancelled
Nov 10, 2013
Im over 190cm tall, big hands and all... just perfectly equipped for 6/6S Plus 5,5 inch beast.

And I had it. I had 6 Plus for almost one whole year - terrible experience (except for camera stabilization and beautiful 1080p in 60FPS without shaking). Then I realized that I need something smaller (same issues as others have, cant tie my shoes with phone in my pocket, cant sit in my car with phone in my pocket, cant use it with one hand (actually can, but with nothing close to comfort)... etc.). So I upgraded to 6S. 4,7 inch screen was much better, but still kind of big. After few days I sold 6S and bought brand new 5S. From moment I opened box I feel in love. It feels just right, its fast, it has beautiful design, touch ID, 64bit (futureproof) CPU, battery can last for 2 days of normal usage. I can not say one bad word about that phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have both the 5 (got on launch day) and the 6s+ and while I still love my 5, there's no way I could go back to using it as a primary phone. Too small now.

I wear cargo jeans usually so I never have a problem with the 6s+ in my pocket (big pocket on the side of my pants). I have put down every phone I've owned, several of them smaller than the iPhone 5, before doing anything like tying a shoe. There's a particular place for my phone in the console of both my cars and since driving with my phone NOT in my pocket has been what I've done since 1999 when I got my first phone I have zero issues with pulling my phone out before getting in my car. It makes picking my phone up while driving much easier than having to fumble it out of a freaking pocket while trying to simultaneously control a 2500+ pound car hurtling down a street or freeway.

If I am at a place where I need to sit down with the phone in my pocket, the aforementioned side pocket of my cargo jeans makes this easy.

I use my iPhone 6s+ two handed. I'm not paying T-Mobile 'X' amount a month for this phone only to drop it because using it one-handed is some sort of thing that you're supposed to be able to do with a phone.

Everyone is different. I just feel it's much safer to place my phone somewhere other than my pocket when I am going to be moving around.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Giving my age away but a holster is perfect for me. I know it is not cool you young cool people but I need to get to my phone many times during the day and being able to get to it and put it back is a plus for me. I hate taking my phone out before I get in the car so the holster is perfect for me.

Reactions: Ladybug

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I honestly can't tell if this is a parody or if OP is being serious. You would rather NOT have TouchID? Really? I don't use it that much, but it's nice when I do. And it doesn't bother me at all when I don't.

FairArrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Canada
I honestly can't tell if this is a parody or if OP is being serious. You would rather NOT have TouchID? Really? I don't use it that much, but it's nice when I do. And it doesn't bother me at all when I don't.
Completely serious. I absolutely love the iPhone 5 I picked up. Day #2 is even making me wonder if I actually need my Apple Watch - it seems almost as easy to check the time or change music I'm listening to by effortlessly pulling out my iPhone 5 compared to doing it on my Watch. As for Touch ID, I never really used it with my 6s Plus (although I know I probably should have).

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Completely serious. I absolutely love the iPhone 5 I picked up. Day #2 is even making me wonder if I actually need my Apple Watch - it seems almost as easy to check the time or change music I'm listening to by effortlessly pulling out my iPhone 5 compared to doing it on my Watch. As for Touch ID, I never really used it with my 6s Plus (although I know I probably should have).
Do you have a passcode? Without a code, swipe-to-unlock is still the easiest and fastest way to unlock the phone. I greatly prefer it over TouchID. But there's too much sensitive stuff on there to not have it properly locked, and TouchID beats having to enter a 4 (or now 6) digit code all the time.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
If the new device works better for you than the previous device I would consider this an upgrade instead of a downgrade.

Reactions: Digger148
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.