Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickcage49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Thailand
I've been on 1password 8 for less than a week and I'm fed up. No new features and it's a hassle and a half. I've now deleted 8 and gone back to 7.

For one, if you're idle for 10 minutes it logs you out.

Two, when you right click there's no 1password mini option.

I figured out how to configure it so there was a sidebar (no help from them, since their directions were way off base - probably for the windows version I'm guessing).

Anyone else upset with 1pass 8 and it's limitations?

I can't believe they screwed up such a great program!

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Interesting, no issues with 8 so far. Although I was never a user of the 1Password Mini.

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
No new features and it's a hassle and a half.
This is true. But also there's been loss of functionality. Versions seven and six (and maybe lower ones?) have smartfolders feature. Really nice implementation too -- NSPredicateEditor. Version eight doesn't have smartfolders whatsoever.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: cadec

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

I don't have that problem.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 2.03.17 PM.png

it is so unreliable and quirky.

in what way?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
in what way?
Inconsistent integration with Safari - frequently no integration.

I might have put up with the loss of functionality in the main (ugly) interface, but not the effort required to use it!

As well as actually working as I expect, V7 is just so much more comfortable to use in a macOS environment.

Honestly, I regret renewing my subscription last March. Having tried Bitwarden (not quite as nice as 1Password 7), that is what I would recommend now over V8.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Inconsistent integration with Safari - frequently no integration.

What do you mean by "integration"? I have no problem invoking 1password to fill in username/passwords or credit cards in Safari. Admittedly doesn't work for some websites which have unusual code but you just log a bug and they usually get it fixed with a workaround.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I agree with the inconsistent Safari integration. Oftentimes the browser extension locks even though I have 1P set to never lock, and about half the time I try to unlock it, it gets hung up "syncing". The rest of 1P works fine for my needs.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I have no problem invoking 1password to fill in username/passwords or credit cards in Safari.
That is exactly where inconsistency is most annoying. Sometimes filling works, but mostly not and I have to open a separate 1Password window. But, I gave up and am very happy back with v7.

I am glad it is working for you.

Reactions: Aquaporin

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I've been on 1password 8 for less than a week and I'm fed up. No new features and it's a hassle and a half. I've now deleted 8 and gone back to 7.

Two, when you right click there's no 1password mini option.

I figured out how to configure it so there was a sidebar (no help from them, since their directions were way off base - probably for the windows version I'm guessing).

Anyone else upset with 1pass 8 and it's limitations?

I can't believe they screwed up such a great program!

I do prefer version 8 to version 7. I really did struggle in the beginning, but some of the shortcoming were addressed in later iterations of 8 and some of my issues were learning curve ones. I don't have any problems using the program (bug-wise).

The 10 minute timeout is configurable in preferences under the the "Security" tab. It's named "Lock after the computer is idle for ...". I have mine set to never.

I don't quite remember what the mini option looks like in version 7, but there might be something like that for version 8. In preferences under the "General" tab you can set "Click the icon to: Show Quick Access". That might be what you want or at least good enough? I like it. Type letters to see a list of matching entries. Use the up/down arrows to select an entry and then right arrow to work with that entries details.

Showing and hiding the sidebar seems to be the same as many applications I use. It's just a selection in the application's view menu. Perhaps they didn't feel the need to mention it because it's a standard, but they should have.

The collections feature is very powerful. That's new to version 8. Interface zooming with an additional choice of "Comfortable"/"Compact" is a welcome new feature. They's spent a lot of time reorganizing things and updating the look. To my taste that was time well spent.

I am able to run version 7 alongside version 8. I haven't had any problem. Of course that assumes you are using the service for storing your vaults in their cloud.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
That is exactly where inconsistency is most annoying. Sometimes filling works, but mostly not and I have to open a separate 1Password window. But, I gave up and am very happy back with v7.

I am glad it is working for you.

I'm very curious what is different that makes it not work for you. I never have a problem with 1Password filling in the fields in any browser. I use Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Edge, but most of my usage is in Safari and Firefox.

Their support is very good. Perhaps ask on their forums. I did ask something recently. It did take them about 2 weeks to answer. I know that's a bit long, but they always respond eventually. I think they're bogged down in support because version 8 is such a change from version 7.

Until a couple of weeks ago I was convinced I was going to stay on version 7 and when that stopped working jump ship to another product. It's funny that I'm so happy with version 8 now. I remember complaining on their forums that the option key no longer works to temporarily show hidden fields. They've since added that. I find that most of my issues have been addressed.

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Until a couple of weeks ago I was convinced I was going to stay on version 7 and when that stopped working jump ship to another product. It's funny that I'm so happy with version 8 now.
Me too. I know in the past I said that v8 was horrible compared with v7, but about a month ago I decided to try v8 again. Somehow it now feels very usable and integration with Safari is no longer an issue. I prefer the old app interface, but otherwise I am a convert to V8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.