Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The interactive widget thing is really cool. They've got a very long way to go to get decent coverage though!

On the up-side lenses change much less frequently than bodies so the reviews should remain "current" for a lot longer :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Very exciting. Nothing more fun than lens reviews. The reviews seem (not surprisingly) very very thorough.

Except they're not using an optical bench, which means the lens review is only valid for the camera it's being used on. Personally, I don't care much, but for some people, it's a huge flaw in their test.

Also, I was hoping they would speed up their camera review frequency. With these new lens tests, , they're really going to have to get even more staff.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Is dpreview's forum able to be viewed like this one, and not that stupid setup where you have to click each post one by one? Does it show all posts just by clicking a thread once if you are registered?

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Is dpreview's forum able to be viewed like this one, and not that stupid setup where you have to click each post one by one? Does it show all posts just by clicking a thread once if you are registered?

Yeah, enable "flat view" mode. For example, go to a post, at the top you will see the option. It will be like that for all posts there after.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Sounds like you ought to send an email suggesting that.

Why? It's DPReview. I'm sure there are 527 people who see that they're not testing the performance of lenses, but the performance of the system itself (ie: camera + lens). People there complain too much to the DPReview staff.

This is also why you shouldn't compare test results between different brands (eg: a Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 made for Nikon F-mount, and a Sigma 24-70 mm made for Canon's mount).

The only reason I don't care is because I figure, "Hey, if the lens is sharp on one Nikon camera, it'll be sharp on another Nikon camera." The actual sharpness values themselves will be affected, but so what? Good lenses will still be good, and bad will still be bad.

Photozone.de suffers from this same problem with regards to lens testing. Oh well. I still love their site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.