Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalrebelxt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
133558820_0af8c87571.jpg

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I can assume a Digital Rebel XT, but what lens? And how much USM did you apply ;) It looks.. over done on the USM...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Nice shot! Reminds of this one I took a couple of years ago in Hawaii (not bad for a Sony F707):

Attachments

• dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 146

digitalrebelxt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
jared_kipe said:
I can assume a Digital Rebel XT, but what lens? And how much USM did you apply ;) It looks.. over done on the USM...

Canon XT and 100mm 2.8 Canon Macro Lens, and what does over done on the USM? USM is just the motor built in the lens no way to over do that. Only post processing was done to the color and little levels.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments.

Matt

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
digitalrebelxt said:
Canon XT and 100mm 2.8 Canon Macro Lens, and what does over done on the USM? USM is just the motor built in the lens no way to over do that. Only post processing was done to the color and little levels.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments.

Matt
Not that USM, unsharp mask- is a photoshop sharpening filter. So if all you did was color and levels, I'm confused. It looks to me over sharpened with sharpening artifacts and all. Maybe your in camera sharpening is turned up?

But otherwise, very nice. Flying bugs inpraticular can be hard to shoot.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
That's a great picture - nice job! I'm looking to get me a nice zoom lens for my Rebel XT, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. Hopefully I'll get it soon - or perhaps for my birthday!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Very nice!! Dragonflies move so quickly it's hard to actually capture one in the camera....good job! That was a good lens to use for that purpose, as it gives you enough distance that you wouldn't spook the insect and yet you could get right up there close to him.....

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2004
order from BH Photo!

emw said:
That's a great picture - nice job! I'm looking to get me a nice zoom lens for my Rebel XT, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. Hopefully I'll get it soon - or perhaps for my birthday!

Order the lens from BH Photo no sales tax, and a lot cheaper than retail prices. I order all my camera gear from them, Great company to deal with.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
macgfxdesigner said:
Opps my bad, haha, yeah I have sharpening turned up on the camera.

It is a better idea to leave the in-camera sharpening at normal levels in the camera; this gives you more latitude and flexibility when it comes to sharpening later on in post-processing. Once the camera has done the sharpening, especially if it's oversharpened, there are going to be halos and artifacts and you cannot fix that, whereas when doing your own sharpening with USM (Unsharp Mask) in the post-processing process, you then have much more control over your image and its final appearance.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Clix Pix said:
Very nice!! Dragonflies move so quickly it's hard to actually capture one in the camera....good job! That was a good lens to use for that purpose, as it gives you enough distance that you wouldn't spook the insect and yet you could get right up there close to him.....

Best thing to do is try to catch them early in the day before they've warmed up - I got within a couple of inches of my 'fly and he just sat there and posed. :)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Didn't like the "digitalrebelxt" moniker :confused:

Nice fly shot. Got any bees?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They're all pretty sweet. It's largely a matter of timing and luck, but I still respect that. I do wish to acquire a lens that takes macros that well. I'm considering the Nikkor 105 mm, but I just want to keep shooting and trying to figure out what I like shooting, and whether or not I'd be better off with a telephoto of some sort. I don't think I'll need a telephoto any time soon, but I just want to keep my options open for now.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Rower_CPU said:
Best thing to do is try to catch them early in the day before they've warmed up - I got within a couple of inches of my 'fly and he just sat there and posed. :)

Heh, I'll have to try that, get out there fairly early in the morning, then, as I'd love to capture a dragonfly with my camera.... Thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.