Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miha_v

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2018
Hi,
Anyone here using Apple pencil for drawing on standard iPad or iPad Air, and could share their experience? How does it compare to iPad Pro longterm?

Tried drawing with Procreate on friend's 2019 iPad pro and it feels amazing. However, prices for these Pro models are quite hefty compared to a standard model. If I were a Pro I'd invest in it in a second, but since I'm going to be drawing in my spare time at this point, not really sure. Since standard iPads support Apple pencil as well, I'm wondering if opting for a cheaper setup could also work. I understand there are some differences (refresh rate, sensitivity) between Pro/non-Pro, but not sure to what extent these differences are felt or frustrating when actually drawing.

Appreciate any comments :)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I’ve drawn on all 3:

2019 iPad w/gen 1 Pencil
2020 Air w/gen 2 Pencil
2021 Pro w/gen 2 Pencil

All three iPads can deliver a choppy drawing experience in Procreate when the pencil input lags. It may be the way Procreate works with RAM (iOS 15 will eventually allow Apps to use more than 5GB RAM).

Some folks swear by the Promotion screens on the iPad Pros. I have not seen much difference in the refresh rate. I get along just fine drawing on the Air, and did fine with the cheapest iPad until the Air came along (I wanted to use the second gen Pencil).

So it depends on which pencil you want to use, and if you’re okay with a non laminated screen.

I am waiting for reviews on the iPad Mini as it now has all of the features of the Air, I need it to be lighter to hold (No bursitis please) and keep the heat issues to a minimum.

So if it were me, I’d choose the Air first due to more RAM and other features, but you can draw just fine on a low end iPad too.

Or you could wait on sales for the iPad Pro.

Reactions: Miha_v

Miha_v

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2018
I’ve drawn on all 3:

2019 iPad w/gen 1 Pencil
2020 Air w/gen 2 Pencil
2021 Pro w/gen 2 Pencil

All three iPads can deliver a choppy drawing experience in Procreate when the pencil input lags. It may be the way Procreate works with RAM (iOS 15 will eventually allow Apps to use more than 5GB RAM).

Some folks swear by the Promotion screens on the iPad Pros. I have not seen much difference in the refresh rate. I get along just fine drawing on the Air, and did fine with the cheapest iPad until the Air came along (I wanted to use the second gen Pencil).

So it depends on which pencil you want to use, and if you’re okay with a non laminated screen.

I am waiting for reviews on the iPad Mini as it now has all of the features of the Air, I need it to be lighter to hold (No bursitis please) and keep the heat issues to a minimum.

So if it were me, I’d choose the Air first due to more RAM and other features, but you can draw just fine on a low end iPad too.

Or you could wait on sales for the iPad Pro.
Thanks a lot for the info!
Have checked a few YT videos on this topic as well and surprisingly Pro-motion screen deosn't seem to make that much of a noticeable difference. Good point with laminated / non-laminated screens, I guess the best option would be to try it out in the store. Thanks again!

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I don't like the basic iPads, because you see the space between the glass and the screen....

I just asked my daughter (almost 14)

she says they draw about the same
1st basic iPad with Apple Pencil 1 support
2018 11" iPP - Pencil 2

She said the basic iPad is what she is more used to - she only recently got my 11".... BUT she really likes the tap on the pencil makes a huge difference....

Reactions: Miha_v

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Does anyone else have a opinions / experience with the iPad Air 4 v iPad Pro screens in regards to using the pencil to draw, paint, or write?

I am thinking about replacing my iPad Pro 11" 2018 with a new iPad Air 4 because of the price. I am wondering if the lower refresh rate of the screen makes a really noticeable impact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.