Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Looking for some advice here as my head is starting to spin with some of the options. I just ordered the top of the line iMac with the only config change being a 512GB SSD.

With the small storage space offered by the SSD I'm looking to move my photo, video, and iTunes library storage over to a Drobo 5D3 with about 10TB of space. I'll be using Lightroom and FCPX to edit any of the photos and videos.

The question now is which HDDs should I put in the Drobo? High capacity SSDs are too expensive so I was giving some consideration to going with 5x2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD hybrid drives but not sure of those would be best for that kind of RAID setup. Anyone use these before in a Drobo?

Would I be better if with just going with some Western Digital Black drives?

Thanks for the help!

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
If you plan to RAID, do NOT get non NAS drives.

Get WD Red, Seagate IronWolf, or some other similar NAS HDD.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Any particular reason why? Due to the constant activity of the drives?

Also, wouldn't the slower RPM rating of the WD Red or Iron Wolf drives be a detriment for when I'm editing photos or videos from the Drobo?

I do plan on putting an mSATA drive in the Drobo.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Any particular reason why? Due to the constant activity of the drives?

Also, wouldn't the slower RPM rating of the WD Red or Iron Wolf drives be a detriment for when I'm editing photos or videos from the Drobo?

I do plan on putting an mSATA drive in the Drobo.

You have to google it, but from what I remember the drives are more likely to silently corrupt data when using non NAS drives in a RAID setup.

5400rpm drives are slower, but not by much. Typically people do their editing locally and then move it to external storage.

Reactions: chicagofan00
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.