Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I just managed to drop my 14PM from a very small distance on floor tiles and scuffed the stainless steel side.. all with a fricking case and screen protector with rubberized sides.. bad luck I guess
How’s your phone holding up?

Attachments

• DE54F51B-7693-4520-89D1-2CCFED18486A.jpeg
    DE54F51B-7693-4520-89D1-2CCFED18486A.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 348

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
That's why I get cases that have a high sides

The apple cases dont rise much above the actual pghone for example and Id never get them

Reactions: MultiMan

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I do love the feel of the leather cases, I’ve had a Nomad one for my old 12PM but the phone felt very bulky, still the phone scratching so easily is kinda sad, I don’t understand how come in the drop tests on the internet the phones seem to survive really bad drops without any major damage

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I’m quite obsessed with keeping my gadgets in mint condition but everytime I try doing this it happens for me to do something silly. Still my point was that the phone side got scratched way to easily given the distance/surface (smooth floor tiles) it hit

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Yaas, no longer pristine. Barely visible though, but for OCD people that feels just like I cracked the screen 😂
I bought the phone from the only authorised reseller here in Romania and I want to try next year to trade it in to see the resale value, although still sites like ebay or olx are much better, sold my PRISTINE 13PM 128gb with 1000euros last month (though here the 14PM is 1500 euros 128gb 😳)

Reactions: antiprotest

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Yees, but given the angle it fell the case was actually pushed and the phone scratched, that’s why is frustrating, but it is what it is

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Does that case protrude above the surface of the screen?
Yees, but given the angle it fell the case was actually pushed and the phone scratched, that’s why is frustrating, but it is what it is

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I’ve dropped my 13 thrice - two times cased, and once nekkid - no damage whatsoever. Each drop was about 4 ft onto hard surfaces. I think the 13s lighter weight helps - dunno.

Reactions: DanRO

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
I do love the feel of the leather cases, I’ve had a Nomad one for my old 12PM but the phone felt very bulky, still the phone scratching so easily is kinda sad, I don’t understand how come in the drop tests on the internet the phones seem to survive really bad drops without any major damage

they did them but havent for the 14.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That case doesn’t look protective at all. Single layer. No display lip.

If you want anything that offers real drop protection, look at what any helmet has: hard and soft layers.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Accidental damage can be minor, can be major. So many factors come into it, the angle, distance, surface, force etc...

OP - At least it's not really visible with the case fitted, have you got AppleCare?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Too bad about the damage, looks like you’ve been really unlucky given that you have been using a case. I think the lip on the case is very small. I have never used a leather case before but the silicone cases are very tight fitting and don’t pop off easily and require a lot of force to dislodge the phone.

The damage looks minimal though, I am sure you’ll get over it within a few days. Your phone still looks great.

Kayako

Suspended
Oct 25, 2022
thats why i dont recommend apple cases, they just dont provide that great of protection for those who want it.

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I’ve dropped my 13 thrice - two times cased, and once nekkid - no damage whatsoever. Each drop was about 4 ft onto hard surfaces. I think the 13s lighter weight helps - dunno.
You must be right, the iPhones have gotten heavier every year, though this is another thing I love about iPhones. The weight does make them feel more premium, and I wanted to say stronger but… 😁
I do wonder with what “premium” durable materials they could come up with, maybe that textured plastic like on the cameras (like the Xperia)

Accidental damage can be minor, can be major. So many factors come into it, the angle, distance, surface, force etc...

OP - At least it's not really visible with the case fitted, have you got AppleCare?
In all Eastern Europe there is no official Apple Store, only an authorised store iStyle. I’ve seen they started offering something AppleCare like, but didn’t really look into it, most likely very expensive and not worth it.
I don’t usually drop my phone, but I’ve been more tripped out with this one apparently and that’s when it happens.

Too bad about the damage, looks like you’ve been really unlucky given that you have been using a case. I think the lip on the case is very small. I have never used a leather case before but the silicone cases are very tight fitting and don’t pop off easily and require a lot of force to dislodge the phone.

The damage looks minimal though, I am sure you’ll get over it within a few days. Your phone still looks great.
Thanks for the support 😁 yeah, the damage is indeed minimal and only noticable in direct light, I’ll never have the guts to use this 1500€ phone without a case given I have no insurance anyways so... I’ll get over it, just like my ex 😂😋

Regarding the other message and the Apple case, I also got used so much to the feel of leather cases, I love the grip, the feel and the fact that they don’t get dirty. You do have to take great care as they can ruin very easily.
I’ve had for one of my older phones a very cool Nomad case, very protective with rubberized sides and only the back was leather, but it made the phone huge, and is already huge..

I am honestly really considering the smaller iPhone 15 Pro next year… hoping they will not make the rummored iPhone 15 Ultra.

I love the big screen but I started finding this big size quite akward (after having the 7 Plus, 12PM, 13PM).

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
It survived without any major damages! The few scuffs are not a major damage!
T'is but a scratch.
POV I guess.
05e7ec732785fa4271dff9cbf2a80075.jpg

Invest in a quality case. OtterBox has the reputation and the price to match. Too rich for my old (_!_) android phone. Thin cases are useless. I get the bargain cases that mimics the OtterBox soft inner case with a hard shell. I like 'em thic, with extra padding at the corners.

Reactions: DanRO and JPack

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The reason you need a two piece case is the phone can partially pop out of the case during impact. A hard outer shell clamps on to a soft rubber lining prevents that from happening. More importantly, the hard outer layer distributes the impact. That's why you never see a helmet made from soft foam only. A three piece case with a plastic frame on top of the display offers ultimate protection, but many find that too thick.

Reactions: DanRO and max2

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I’ve been using Apple’s clear silicone case on my iPhone 11 since it was released three years ago. It has held up really well and protected my phone on numerous falls, in no small part due to the raised edge surrounding the display. I can really recommend it.

Recently my child dropped the phone from a considerable height onto a stone floor. It landed flat with the screen down. I was certain that the screen was a goner (which would have been the first time I’ve cracked a screen), but the glass survived unscathed. What did happen was that the front facing camera broke entirely, to the point that I had to have Apple replace it (the camera and FaceID module).

So even if the casing and screen is protected by a case, internal damage may still occur.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
That's just not a sufficient case. I could drop my iPhone while riding my racing bike a hounder times and it wouldn't scuff a bit. Am using an UnbreakCable case for my 11 Pro.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have had my 7+ dropped on tiles a few times, inside a cheap TPU case. Luckily it never got any scoff. I feel that that's just the paint/coating, the stainless steel itself is much durable.

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I have had my 7+ dropped on tiles a few times, inside a cheap TPU case. Luckily it never got any scoff. I feel that that's just the paint/coating, the stainless steel itself is much durable.
You can actually feel the scratches if you run your finger over them, I also had the 7 Plus, that was my favourite iPhone ever, so well built, but as someone said above, the phone is much heavier so is more prone to damage if dropped.

Dropped my 14PM a couple of feet onto a hard floor but luckily the Otterbox Commuter case kept it from any damage.
Definitely with any other case that had a better lip over the screen my phone wouldn’t have scratched, the leather case is more of a cosmetic case than protective.
Although most cases don’t have that soft interior and dust gets inside, and overtime in can also create marks, that’s something I don’t like

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.