Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I bought myself a early 2015 13" MacBook Air last year around black friday. I was moving over from a mid-2012 13" classic MacBook Pro. Both used with the public releases of El Capitan.

I set up the the new Air as a new computer instead of migrating my previous setup. I thought everything would be smooth as silk except for the fact that whenever I open System Preferences it bounces for what appears to be an eternity before it opens every time and in the last two weeks I have started to experience dropped frame rates at random times when either scrolling, moving between open Windows or desktops in Mission Control.

It's driving me insane because my old MacBook Pro don't exhibit these problems at all and it's also running El Capitan.
Has anyone else experience these glaring issues and if so how have you been able to solve them?

I have already tried a reinstall of the operating system and the problem still occurs.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
  1. in ~/Library/Preferences
  2. Look for a file called com.apple.desktop.plist and move it to the Trash.
  3. Logout.
  4. Log back in (you will need to set your Desktop wallpaper again).

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
  1. in ~/Library/Preferences
  2. Look for a file called com.apple.desktop.plist and move it to the Trash.
  3. Logout.
  4. Log back in (you will need to set your Desktop wallpaper again).
I search for that file both it doesn't appear anywhere. There is one called com.Apple.spaces.plist and other two variations with gibberish letters and numbers as well.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Looks like the file com.apple.desktop.plist is no longer used. Sorry. Need to update my notes.

Try deleting com.apple.systempreferences.plist. If that fails, try the com.apple.finder.plist.

Remember to look in the User's Library not the root Library and log out/in, empty the trash before testing.

Show User's Library

The User's Library folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Finding the User Library Folder
http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/resources/0167/site/chap11.html#FindingtheUserLibraryFolder

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Looks like the file com.apple.desktop.plist is no longer used. Sorry. Need to update my notes.

Try deleting com.apple.systempreferences.plist. If that fails, try the com.apple.finder.plist.

Remember to look in the User's Library not the root Library and log out/in, empty the trash before testing.

Show User's Library

The User's Library folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Finding the User Library Folder
http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/resources/0167/site/chap11.html#FindingtheUserLibraryFolder
Already did the system preferences but the problem still persists so I'll try next with finder

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
I rarely post and I have exactly the same issue as you. I also set it up as a fresh install. if you find the solution please post. Everything is just so choppy. I have noticed a correlation with anything that requires cpu cycles in the menubar impacts on performance, such as iStat.

I also tried deleting the files and it didn't work.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I tried not having any app or process that wasn't part of the operating system from opening at boot and after a while the dropped frame rates happened regardless.The part that irks me is that I wasn't able to reproduce it in my limited time testing it via safe boot.

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
Ive google searched high and low and just kind narrow it down to anything either. I just don't understand how a .5 release can throw up such major bugs. Especially as obvious when its a fresh install!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.