Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
In the main, I am a satisfied DropBox user. But lately, I’ve noticed that DB auto-installed the updates. And I prefer to preview updates before they are installed.

Is there a way to preclude DB from auto-installing the updates?

TIA

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Is there a way to preclude DB from auto-installing the updates?
The short answer is no. The auto updates are part of the app and can't be turned off. You can read more about it on their site.

That being said, I'm not sure what would happen if you used an app like LittleSnitch to block access to the update server. I know it's a different server address than the sync server the app normally does to retrieve your files.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
if its a different serer address. then little snitch would work i'd imagine as it would be another "connection" attempt

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
if its a different serer address. then little snitch would work i'd imagine as it would be another "connection" attempt
I already know LittleSnitch will work to block the connection. That's a given. What we don't know is if Dropbox will continue to function properly if it isn't allowed to connect to that update server.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
FWIW, I blocked 2 LS>DB connections and sometime later I noticed that the DB menubar icon was greyed out. Upon (re)enabling the DB connections via LS, all returned to normal.

Little Snitch indicates I have 7 DB connections, so maybe I chose the wrong one(s).

If anyone knows which connection to block, I hope they will post it.

Reactions: darrylsvochak

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Anywhere in the system that Dropbox usually saves it updates/installers to and Write Protect the folder - just an idea. Worked with Google Chrome one time. I don't know if it does any more with Google Chrome or even with Dropbox.

I do think that your Console application will fill up with Dropbox errors so just take note of that. Probably only one or two notifications or entries in the Console for each Dropbox launch or connection to Dropbox update server - who knows for sure.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Not quite sure what you're hoping to preview. Spoilers: it became this about a year ago.

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.