Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdhokie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
USA
Since updating to 13.1.2 (the latest release as of this post), I seem to be unable to maintain a phone call with anyone. I have an iPhone 11 Pro on Verizon Wireless. Apple ran remote diagnostics and says it is not an issue with the phone, but the problem is persistent in various areas across many different cell towers. In addition, when the call drops on my phone my Apple Watch continues to show the call as active. However, I can’t hear the call on my watch.

I don’t know if it’s an IOS 13 issue, iphone 11 Pro issue, or something else. I’ve reset my network settings to no avail, restarted the phone, and tried various calls over the past 18 hours.

I did find a thread on AT&T’s forums of people claiming to have issues with their iPhone 11 Pro Max, but nothing regarding Verizon.

Anyone else having similar issues? The Apple support chat was uncharacteristically unhelpful!

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Well I don’t have an iPhone 11 but the iPhone XS. I can say that I don’t have any dropped calls with my account with Verizon with iOS 13.1.2. Others may wish to weigh in with their phone and carrier

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Since updating to 13.1.2 (the latest release as of this post), I seem to be unable to maintain a phone call with anyone. I have an iPhone 11 Pro on Verizon Wireless. Apple ran remote diagnostics and says it is not an issue with the phone, but the problem is persistent in various areas across many different cell towers. In addition, when the call drops on my phone my Apple Watch continues to show the call as active. However, I can’t hear the call on my watch.

I don’t know if it’s an IOS 13 issue, iphone 11 Pro issue, or something else. I’ve reset my network settings to no avail, restarted the phone, and tried various calls over the past 18 hours.

I did find a thread on AT&T’s forums of people claiming to have issues with their iPhone 11 Pro Max, but nothing regarding Verizon.

Anyone else having similar issues? The Apple support chat was uncharacteristically unhelpful!
It is absolutely an issue with my 11 Pro Max on Verizon. I can be in the the middle of an important call and it drops. When I look at the signal it takes a few minutes to find the network again. I have tried resetting network settings and that works for a day or two, however it does return.

bdhokie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
USA
Just an update that I spent a good deal of time on with Verizon support today, and they have no answers. Another strange symptom is that calls that disconnect now no longer register in my call logs on the phone. I’m down to doing a complete phone restore, and if that doesn’t work, returning the phone to Apple.

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Just an update that I spent a good deal of time on with Verizon support today, and they have no answers. Another strange symptom is that calls that disconnect now no longer register in my call logs on the phone. I’m down to doing a complete phone restore, and if that doesn’t work, returning the phone to Apple.
FYI I have two iPhone 11 Pro's on Verizon and they both exhibit this behavior. I am not sure a replacement phone will solve the issue. I am positive it is modem/cellular baseband. Keep us updated.

Pande

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Australia
I am in Australia using an iPhone 11 PRO-And I've swapped my iPhone 11 PRO 3 times due to this exact same issue (dropped calls regaularly)

Pande

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Australia
Did you have this issue before the update?Do a network reset and test again
I've done the following
Reset Network Settings
Replaced the Nano Sim
Used the eSim option
Turned VoLTE off
Turned WiFi calling off
Restored iPhone

I've done this to all 3 iPhone 11 Pro's -Issue is still continuing.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I've done the following
Reset Network Settings
Replaced the Nano Sim
Used the eSim option
Turned VoLTE off
Turned WiFi calling off
Restored iPhone

I've done this to all 3 iPhone 11 Pro's -Issue is still continuing.

Can you also try Speedtest using the app? Also, does changing data option to 4G works any better? This sounds it may be possible carrier or hardware issue.

Pande

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Australia
Can you also try Speedtest using the app? Also, does changing data option to 4G works any better? This sounds it may be possible carrier or hardware issue.

It happens randomly the call just cuts out

Speedtest shows a result of 8.0 MBPS

Data is on 4G

bdhokie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
USA
To troubleshoot, I did most everything mentioned above and contacted both Verizon and Apple, each pointing to the other as the responsible party. Everything was working (including data at acceptable speeds) with the exception of calls dropping on the phone and staying “active” on my Watch.

Yesterday morning the issue mysteriously resolved itself, pointing to some undocumented Verizon Wireless issue. There were no phone updates, no new changes to settings, etc.

If calls begin dropping again I plan to pursue with Apple and will update this thread again. But currently I have to assume there was a network issue with Verizon Wireless that somehow impacted iPhone 11’s more than other phones!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.