Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azizavine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
I dropped my iPhone 5 in the water today (with a water-RESISTANT case) and I plugged it into the charger 10 minutes after drying it to make sure the charge was still holding. (Dumb, I know.) I unplugged it, turned it off and put it in rice for an hour. After another hour, I turned it on to check if it was okay. Then I turned it off again and turned it on after a while to fix the audio jack. I did not know that I was not supposed to charge it nor turn it on. It has been sitting in rice for two hours now. The phone was working fine. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to prevent any damage?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well that was dumb. whats next? taking a shower with a blow dryer?

i wouldnt have turned it back on for at least a day or two not one or two hours

Reactions: ABC5S

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
I dropped my iPhone 5 in the water today (with a water-RESISTANT case) and I plugged it into the charger 10 minutes after drying it to make sure the charge was still holding. (Dumb, I know.) I unplugged it, turned it off and put it in rice for an hour. After another hour, I turned it on to check if it was okay. Then I turned it off again and turned it on after a while to fix the audio jack. I did not know that I was not supposed to charge it nor turn it on. It has been sitting in rice for two hours now. The phone was working fine. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to prevent any damage?

You should have left it in the rice for several days, not an hour or two!

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
There are some legit sites that have shown rice is not a cure all by any means. May work for a bit, but in the long run, iffy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are some legit sites that have shown rice is not a cure all by any means. May work for a bit, but in the long run, iffy.
It's not so much the rice as it is whether or not corrosion that will impact something will happen or not. For many things work fine down the road still, for others not so much.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
Any other options? I don't have any gel silica packets
If you don't have the ability to take the phone apart or take it to someone who can check it for damage, the best you can do is leave it off and in some kind of desiccant. The water will eventually evaporate, but since you can't open the phone easily it's difficult to get air circulating through the phone to speed up evaporation and get the moisture out of the phone. The only way to prevent future damage is to make sure the phone is as dry as possible before you turn it back on, or else you risk shorting something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.