Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im using an old mid 2010 iMac and my eyes become dry and hurt when im working over 5-6hrs. I was wondering, is it the old display and the lighting conditions that create this dryness? Would i be better off if i was using an iMac with a Retina display? Or should i just get a different kind of computer where i can select a different display altogether? Perhaps an oled display, if there is such an option that is ;-)

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Im using an old mid 2010 iMac and my eyes become dry and hurt when im working over 5-6hrs. I was wondering, is it the old display and the lighting conditions that create this dryness? Would i be better off if i was using an iMac with a Retina display? Or should i just get a different kind of computer where i can select a different display altogether? Perhaps an oled display, if there is such an option that is ;-)
Well, the two most important things to remember are to blink and to take breaks while working. If you're working 5-6 hours with no breaks, that would be the source of the issue and not the iMac display. Same thing if you're forgetting to blink (which can happen, I've done it before).

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Technically speaking though, are there displays that work better for our eye sight? Are Oled displays better/more comfortable while viewing?

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Technically speaking though, are there displays that work better for our eye sight? Are Oled displays better/more comfortable while viewing?
I can't say for sure. Everyone is different, but I personally haven't had any issues with LCD displays and I use LCDs all day basically.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
You could also try those glasses that block off blue light, but what's probably going to work best is taking breaks. Either use the Pomodoro technique (25 minutes of work/screen staring, 5 minutes break/off the screen), or the 20-20-20 rule (every 20 minutes, stare at something 20 yards away for 20 seconds).

Reactions: RogerWilco6502
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.