Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Im in the process of looking to replace my wife's Nikon D80. My biggest complaint with the camera and hers is not being able to instantly capture a picture when needed(like my little girls many smiles and funny expressions) or just when I need to point and shoot. I have had the camera looked at by several authorized Nikon dealers and they see nothing wrong with it. So Im gonna replace it. I might go with nikon again but I dont know. I have 3 lenses for the D80 so that plays a big choice. What Im looking for is a camera I turn on and point it and click it takes. I do want a DSLR. I was really happy with the D80 when we first got it. I would really appreciate any input.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Im in the process of looking to replace my wife's Nikon D80. My biggest complaint with the camera and hers is not being able to instantly capture a picture when needed(like my little girls many smiles and funny expressions) or just when I need to point and shoot. I have had the camera looked at by several authorized Nikon dealers and they see nothing wrong with it. So Im gonna replace it. I might go with nikon again but I dont know. I have 3 lenses for the D80 so that plays a big choice. What Im looking for is a camera I turn on and point it and click it takes. I do want a DSLR. I was really happy with the D80 when we first got it. I would really appreciate any input.

What was the issue? Why couldn't the D80 take photos instantly? There is an auto feature...

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
What was the issue? Why couldn't the D80 take photos instantly? There is an auto feature...

It just wont. It will focus in and then just sit there. Sometimes it does and then it will not it will beep then nothing. As stated above I have had it in several Nikon service centers and they have all told me theres nothing wrong with it.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
What have the conditions been on the missed shots? If it's really dark then auto-focus can have a hard time getting a lock, which at least on my 1000D stops it from taking a picture.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Sounds like a problem with your lenses, not your camera. If these are indoor shots, then it's probably a result of the lens hunting for something to focus on. Does it have the same problem outdoors in bright light?

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Sounds like a problem with your lenses, not your camera. If these are indoor shots, then it's probably a result of the lens hunting for something to focus on. Does it have the same problem outdoors in bright light?

Doesnt matter if inside or outside. Every once in a while it will actually take a shot when I need it too. Even if I am trying to do a fast shot of something in action with it in action settings it will only shot a few then quit.

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
It sounds like a lens issue to me.

FWIW, is you are shooting indoors you should be shooting with a fast prime lens. You'll be much happier than spending another $1k on a body.

In addition you'll never be happy with results if you are using a slow kit lens or a zoom indoors for people.

I use a 35 mm, F1.8 Nikon prime lens on my D40 and with auto ISO set I can snap a picture of just about anything nearly instantly.

Best part is that the lens is about $200.

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
It sounds like a lens issue to me.

FWIW, is you are shooting indoors you should be shooting with a fast prime lens. You'll be much happier than spending another $1k on a body.

In addition you'll never be happy with results if you are using a slow kit lens or a zoom indoors for people.

I use a 35 mm, F1.8 Nikon prime lens on my D40 and with auto ISO set I can snap a picture of just about anything nearly instantly.

Best part is that the lens is about $200.

I have your lens same thing on it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have had the camera looked at by several authorized Nikon dealers and they see nothing wrong with it.

Forget the dealers- write a description of the problem and send it to a Nikon-authorized service center. They'll give you a quote based upon what they find- then you can decide if they find something wrong what your next step is. Even if it's out of warranty, this is probably your best first step. If you're in the US, send it to the closest service center. If you're overseas, it's easier or more difficult depending on which country you're in.

There's a huge gulf between a Nikon authorized dealer and a Nikon authorized service center. A service center will be able to test the camera against it's specifications and know which modules are performing up to spec. A dealer knows how to sell cameras.

Paul

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
That has to be a problem with the body or perhaps the lens connection to the body? If this happens across multiple lenses then there is a problem for sure in the body.

I just picked up my D40 with a 18-105 zoom that was on it and the shutter released almost immediately from a cold start indoors with dim lights. You should get stellar results with a fast prime and the D80 should be better than the D40. I also don't use the AF-assist light.

Can you see the lens going in and out of focus trying to find focus? Can you hear the AFS system grinding away trying to find focus?

The only issues I have indoors is the camera usually selects a slow shutter speed in P mode. I usually shoot indoor with shutter priority mode to prevent people from being motion blurred.

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
That has to be a problem with the body or perhaps the lens connection to the body? If this happens across multiple lenses then there is a problem for sure in the body.

I just picked up my D40 with a 18-105 zoom that was on it and the shutter released almost immediately from a cold start indoors with dim lights. You should get stellar results with a fast prime and the D80 should be better than the D40. I also don't use the AF-assist light.

Can you see the lens going in and out of focus trying to find focus? Can you hear the AFS system grinding away trying to find focus?

The only issues I have indoors is the camera usually selects a slow shutter speed in P mode. I usually shoot indoor with shutter priority mode to prevent people from being motion blurred.

It will focus instantly with any of the lenses but will not take the picture. Most of the time it just beeps at me but wont take. I havent got a problem with it focusing just it wont take a picture when needed.

steavelee2

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
If you do a search in the forum, you will see that this is an often-asked question and it usually gets basically the same response...

Any of the DSLRs is capable of capturing excellent images. However, they all have differences in their features and differences in performance in certain areas. Only you know what you want to achieve, so only you can make the final decision. There is WAY too much information available for us to be able to provide it to you in a forum like this (even if the options are limited to just a few cameras). You should do your research to find out what the features are on the cameras you are interested in and give some thought to which features will best support your particular goals. The Popular Photography web site is a great one to start your search. Look for camera and/or lens reviews to get both objective and subjective test results - information that you can use to determine which camera models will come closest to filling all your needs.

You will also find that it is frequently recommended that you get out and handle each of the cameras you are considering. The reason for this is that each manufacturer takes a slightly different approach to the human-camera interface and some cameras will just feel more comfortable to you. You will likely find one manufacturer (or possibly even just a single camera model) where the controls seem to naturally fall under your fingers and operate in a way that is logical to YOU. When/if you find such a camera, you would be well served to buy it. You will learn faster and progress farther with a camera that you are comfortable with.

So, once you have narrowed your search to the models that contain the features you believe you need to help you capture the images you are interested in, you should take the time to hold and operate each of the models that end up on your list. Once you have done all that, you will have prepared yourself to make the final decision as to which camera to buy.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Sounds like user error and/or a problem with the body to me.

The D80 (just like any modern dslr) has many options when it comes to focussing (e. g. which and how many AF sensors to use, whether or not the AF should be continuous, etc.). These combinations can be confusing to a newbie and if at one point they have inadvertently been changed, they can be responsible for the behavior you're describing. Which and how many AF sensors are active? Are you working in AF-A, AF-S or AF-C mode?

Before getting to the bottom of this, I would definitely advise against getting another camera, be it a Nikon or not. The suggestion to go to a Nikon service center is certainly very good. People in normal camera shop are often not very knowledgeable (the low pay certainly helps to hire good people), so I'd avoid those.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
If you stick the camera in manual focus does it take pictures (albeit out of focus ones) instantly?

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
As has been said repeatedly, this sounds like a lens/light/operator issue, not a camera issue. If you're positive that it's not, then I'd send it to a *Nikon* service center, with a detailed description of what's wrong.

Should none of the above prove helpful, and you're hellbent on getting a new camera, the Nikon D90 is a rock solid choice.

jgrowl

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010

Are you using the built in flash on the camera? If this is the case, turn off the red eye reduction feature. This will always cause the delay that is similar to the one you state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.